Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heritage 130P First light + barlow issue

Just had first light with my Heritage 130P, It was a bit murky but still a good test :)

I found the standard cheap single element sky-watcher 2x barlow worked with a range of different eyepieces although there wasn't much in-travel to spare, but it really is poor quality so I wouldn't recommend anyone buy that.

The Tal 3x barlow hardly needed refocusing, so that worked very nicely.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had first light with my Heritage 130P, It was a bit murky but still a good test :)

I found the standard cheap single element sky-watcher 2x barlow worked with a range of different eyepieces although there wasn't much in-travel to spare, but it really is poor quality so I wouldn't recommend anyone buy that.

The Tal 3x barlow hardly needed refocusing, so that worked very nicely.

Hmmm, thats thrown me..

Maybe my scope needs collimating...

Hmmm, thats thrown me..

Maybe my scope needs collimating...

If everything looks ok when you're just using a regular eyepiece then your collimation is probably fine.

I think you've just been unlucky with the Meade barlow, it must just be a different length/spacing

How long did you leave the ep outside for?

I've read here on many occasions about the need for the scope to acclimatise, and had a similar issue with my 10mm.

Decided to ignore the 10 and just used the 25. Was about to pack up and thought, what the hey, i'll whack it in again and see. WOW!!!!!

I now have built a slightly padded, silk lined tray (10 bucks total) and leave my ep's out of the box. It makes a big difference as far as i'm concerned.

Any of the boffins out there, feel free to comment on this, as i'm not sure if it's leaving them (ep's) out is what is helping or just the atmosphere has decided to play as well.

I still havent managed to get out since i posted due to the cursed clouds.

I've just bought a range of second hand ep's too including a 6 and 4mm.

one tip I will pass on is that if is a cold night, make sure you have the scope extended whilst it is outside cooling.

otherwise the metal rods will contract in the cold and you will have a job moving the tube in or out.

one tip I will pass on is that if is a cold night, make sure you have the scope extended whilst it is outside cooling.

otherwise the metal rods will contract in the cold and you will have a job moving the tube in or out.

indeed i discoved this too, i wonder if some lubrication might help

After considering many scopes over the last few months i think i have settled on this 1, i love the grab and go aspect and the table top usage, i have heard that the stubby shortest barlows work best for this scope because of the lack of in focus that it has.

The only thing i don't like about this scope is the lack of protection in the packaging, it looks like it could easily get damaged in transit.

indeed i discoved this too, i wonder if some lubrication might help

If you do decide to lubricate, only use genuine spray silicone. Almost every petroleum based product there is will attract dust. Spray silicone doesn't.

I have a 10" collapsable, and I find that by changing hand positions, rather than using the extending handles I can move the front end much easier.

I tried some spray on mine and it really didn't help. Instead, by using one of the handles and gripping the other side of the front end (180 deg) I can move it in and out much easier.

• 6 months later...

Hi Scott, a long time ago now, but did you eventually get any joy with the barlow lens issue you had back in March? I have found the same issue with a 2.5x Astro Revelation barlow lens - the focus just won't go in far enough. It is quite a bulky thing and think that if the eypiece could go just a cm further in it would be ok. Weird that others have had better luck. Thanks, Will

Hi Scott, a long time ago now, but did you eventually get any joy with the barlow lens issue you had back in March? I have found the same issue with a 2.5x Astro Revelation barlow lens - the focus just won't go in far enough. It is quite a bulky thing and think that if the eypiece could go just a cm further in it would be ok. Weird that others have had better luck. Thanks, Will

The Heritage has a fairly limited focus travel. I have the skywatcher 2x barlow and it is fine, but the 1.5x times option does not work by itself without some form of extension or  I run out of focus travel, and this is a known issue confirmed when I bought it.  Best thing is to check before buying or ensure there is a focus solution, as not every barlow will have such issues, some will, some not on this scope within the focus adjustable range it provides.

Archived