Which of these eyepieces to get??

Skooby

Please help!! I'm torn between these two eyepieces revelation astro 2.5x or the baader classic q turret 2.25x I've read up on both and both do sound good but I've got a sw 250px on order which is best for it? I know I'm asking question all the time but why not learn from the best. Thanks guys.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/barlows/revelation-astro-25x-barlow.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-classic-q-225x-barlow.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would buy neither and wait to get some views with the scope, if ypu havent used anything yet you dont really know what you want or need. I would wait till you have some eyetime in before spending cash on anything else.

I agree with Astro_Baby's advice, wait until you have got the scope and used it a few times before jumping into accessories. Even the 2.25x Baader barlow will probably deliver more magnification than can be usefully used much of the time.

Thanks guys the baader seems to be the one I keep going back to. And Astro baby I've used the same scope with supplied ep's my mate has one and reason I'm getting one and his Barlow was good and that was the revelation 2.5x and Lenny I'm bidding on a tal 2x on ebay currently winning but still long to go yet I might just see what happens with that. But just incase I lose it it will prob be outta these 2 ep's thanks for your help. :)

Thanks John as I say I've used the scope of my mates a few times and he used the revelation and the views where very pleasing but me being me am very fussy and like to be told by experts the best inexpensive ep's took me months to make sure the sw 250px was the right choice even after using my mates. I'd like to get the Barlow now knowing what my mates was like. Thanks Kevin.

Thanks John as I say I've used the scope of my mates a few times and he used the revelation and the views where very pleasing but me being me am very fussy and like to be told by experts the best inexpensive ep's took me months to make sure the sw 250px was the right choice even after using my mates. I'd like to get the Barlow now knowing what my mates was like. Thanks Kevin.

I've used both the Revelation 2.5x and the Baader 2.25x and I'd say the Baader is better optically. Obviously it's up to you what and when you buy but even with a 10mm eyepiece the Baader will give 272x which might not get much use. It would not be my 1st investment for the scope to be honest.

Thanks for time guys. John just out of interest what would be your 1st investment on a telescope or like me a 1st time telescope? Ill ask all that reads these threads what would yours be??

Thanks for time guys. John just out of interest what would be your 1st investment on a telescope or like me a 1st time telescope? Ill ask all that reads these threads what would yours be??

My immediate priorities would be:

- A good star map

- A red light torch

- A cheshire collimation eyepiece

- A Telrad or Rigel Quikfinder to sit alongside the optical finder, or even replace it much of the time.

- A good star map

- A red light torch

- A Telrad or Rigel Quikfinder to sit alongside the optical finder, or even replace it much of the time.

I have alot of books including the cambridge star atlas which is beautifully described turn left at orion and I subscribe to magazines such as sky at night which has the months sky maps? I will get a red light Torch. I was going to get a laser collimator but that's another thing is the Cheshire better? Because the laser ones can be out alignment I've read? I will look into the quick finder I was looking at them the other day.

It's posted my post twice this app on my phone is rubbish lol yeh turn left at orion is a good book really detailed the cambridge photographic star atlas is also very good got the diagrams and photos of what your looking at.

I've never found lunar and planetary filters are needed personally. My scopes go up to 12" in aperture and I've managed to see excellent lunar a planetary detail without filters.

You are right that cheap lasers collimators can be out of collimation themselves which is why I suggested the cheshire eyepiece which does not use a laser - it's a tool which assists with collimating by eye. An F/4.7 scope will need the collimation adjusting. Many folks give it a quick check and tweak each time they use the scope.

I'll mention the Telrad / Rigel Quikfinders again as this style of zero magnification, illuminated reticule finder makes it easy to see where the scope is pointed in the sky and how that matches with the stated position of the target object on a star chart. It is still useful to have the optical finder sometimes when you need to check an objects position in relation to fainter stars.

- A good star map

- A red light torch

+1 and also a chair.

Also Stellarium!

Free software that is a fab way to plan your nights viewing. It shows you in real time where everything is and lets you move time forward to show you where everything will be later in the evening so you can plan ahead.

Oh and another thing what about lunar and planetary filters?

I (alone apparently :p ) actually find my lunar filter quite useful. I find the moon just too bright without it :cool: and it does help me eek out a little more detail on Jupiter. I've never felt the need for planetary filters though and have heard that the benefits of them can be a little subjective. I've not actually tried a planetary filter in the field though so I can't back that up.

I wouldn't consider a filter an essential buy but some of them can be useful

Thanks for all the advice guys I've taken it onboard ordered a red light torch and a telrad red dot finder well it's like crosshairs on it and already got good sky maps should be all up and running by weekend do hopefully clear skies :)

Archived