SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

pianorealm

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome.

I reckon a planisphere would be a good idea. It shows you where all the constelations are, and

when and where to see them. A book showing many celestial objects in the night sky and where to find them

would be good too. I tend to use the internet to find what i am looking for in the night sky.

As for telescopes. It depends on your budget and needs.

Paul.

Thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome!

I've followed the advice and downloaded Stellarium. I've also got the Google Night Sky app on my phone which I find really useful when I'm outside.

I'm going to stick with the binoculars for the time being....find my way around the constellations etc. There's enough to keep me happy just doing that! I'm fortunate enough to have a wide selection of binoculars at any one given time and I find it great to be able to see clusters like the Pleiades in the same field of view, even with x20 mag. That cluster to me seems particularly attractive?

The book I mentioned wasn't viewing the night sky..my typo....it was Exploring The Night Sky with binoculars by Patrick Moore, no wonder a couple of you hadn't heard of it!

Anyway.....on to more serious issues. Is it just me...or...since I started taking an interest in astronomy <SIX WEEKS OR SO AGO>....have the night skies been cloudier than normal? <g>

Oh yes.....typical evening....starts off with clear skies before dark. I have a look at Stellarium to 'suss' out what I'm going to look at...make a couple of notes....go out......get myself comfy...pick up the binos.....TOTAL CLOUD COVER!!!

Right...let's see what tonight brings........

Hi Howard. Welcome to SGL. As has been said already there is no need to rush out & buy a scope. Sweeping the skies with binos is a great way to view many interesting objects. A few weeks or months down the line from now and you might have a better idea about the different types of telescopes, and which one may be right for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived