SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

300P Goto - I like :)

Cracking scope or what!!!! First light for me, bought it yesterday from one careful owner. Whats a fabulous scope - got great views and the nudge, nudge is much simpler than I thought as well, very intuitive when you have used it for a few mins. Cracking views of M81, M82 M65 and 66 tonight :)

One observation I made about the goto. Their appears to be some backlash in the gears and when i press the direction buttons - especially on declination axis - it takes a while for it to "catch" and start to move the scope. I take that to be backlash in the gears. Any one else seen this guys?

Rgds, Steve

Congrats on buying your 300P! Couldn't wait eh ;)

There doesn't seem to be significant backlash on my 300P. Or perhaps I'm just not experienced enough to notice it. I do find it takes a few seconds to settle fully on a target, so perhaps that is a symptom. Once settled though, it is great. I can take 20 second exposures no trouble, which a lot of people told me I wouldn't be able to do! Due to the big mirror, it collects massive amount of photons in that time. As the previous poster says, you can apparently dial out the backlash on the handset, but I haven't fiddled with that yet.

Finally had a clear night yesterday and one thing I can tell you is collimation makes a big difference. I took the time to get it spot on last night and the result was another "wow". Jupiter was simply amazing. I finally clearly saw the GRS and could also see swirls in the clouds. Blew me away. I have a load of video to process and I'm hoping the results will match the visual. My single exposures of M42 were much better than my last attempt as well. Got stacks ready for processing too.

One thing I guarantee you is an exciting ahead!

Hi guys, its the AZ Goto 3.07 I think? I need to look - been busy with day stuff today. Boy, I am tired, I did not get in until 03:00 this morning and was up with six year old daughter at 07:00!! :rolleyes:

Can you guys tell me what software you have on your controllers please?

A few little tweaks required I think. Some of the backlash is because the DEC axis has some visible play in it with the screws not tightening the scope to the bit that connects onto the mount properly. Some split washers will sort that out. I will try again then. I am going to fully flock the tube as well and it needs a shield to prevent stray light since the flat is so near the top - I was getting a street light washing out the views sometimes. Not sure how to connect this since the finder is near that position. I shall have a think.

One thing I am not a fan of is the focuser. Very cheap and nasty. Needs an upgrade me thinks....

9/10 I would give it as it is.

Steve

Hi guys, its the AZ Goto 3.07 I think? I need to look - been busy with day stuff today. Boy, I am tired, I did not get in until 03:00 this morning and was up with six year old daughter at 07:00!! :rolleyes:

Can you guys tell me what software you have on your controllers please?

One thing I am not a fan of is the focuser. Very cheap and nasty. Needs an upgrade me thinks....

9/10 I would give it as it is.

Steve

I upgraded the firmware to 3.34.

You have the Crayford focuser yes? I didn't think it was that bad! ;) I might upgrade it to the new dual speed one at some point though. It's a bolt on replacement.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

hi and grats on the scope :)

upgrade your firmware to newer version 3.34 you can get it here:http://www.skywatcher.com/swtinc/customer_support.php?class1=1&class2=110

it is a straight forward thing to do.

i have 10" go to and never had any issues with backlash,but i did had problems with both clutches and squeaking noises.the base is a bit of task to get dismantled and clutch adjusted,but now the scope is silent and motors engage immediately.the side clutch is easy and now i dont suffer with the scope nose diving anymore.if you are up for a challenge of doing it,there is a forum topic about how to dismantle go-to dobs base.i used that as a reference.

clear skies .

Thanks for the tips chaps. Scope is very nice and I am splitting hairs here I hasten to add!

One thing I did have trouble with is that my 12mm Nagler would not reach focus in the stock focuser. I shall investigate further.

Steve

I am glad you are enjoying the scope mate. Was a pleasure meeting you. :-)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Its fabulous matey! :) The optics are spot on. The tracking is OK too and the Goto. It is slightly out because the Altitude clutch needs tightening up a little. Guess what job I have on tomorrow night ;-) These dobs need a better focuser to get them perfect - I can understand that to make them for the price they do they have to cut costs somewhere. Its my birthday shortly so guess whats on my list? :)

Great scope. One for keeps !

Hi.

This is the first processed image from Friday night.

Jupiter 6122

A bit of an alignment artifact showing on the right, but I'm really pleased with it as a first go with AutoStakkert. You can see the strip of light coloured turbulence in the lower red belt caused by the GRS! I have 5 more videos to process, so fingers crossed! Shows what resolution the 300P is capable of :)

Archived