Best inexpensive x2/x3 Barlow

Skooby

Hi guys I've ordered my skywatcher skyliner 250px I'm wondering what's the best inexpensive 2 or 3x Barlow lens for it? I know that being a 10" scope that it's going to be harder on the ep's but is there a more inexpensive ep that I can buy that will still give me great views? Any info much appreciated thanks. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Revelation 2.5x barlow is reasonably priced and optically fairly good. Could be worth reading John's review of the new Baader barlow, too. In fact, the ortho design of the new Baader BCO eyepieces (though perhaps not the longer focal length plossl) should mean they work nicely in the 10" dob (I assume you're talking about the 250PX here). The negatives are the comparatively small field of view and the limited eye relief.

James

Thanks for this guys I've looked into the revelation and its reasonable priced will defo be looking at this. And james that baader ep is it the baader q turret 2.25x barlow in johns review as this sounds quite promising and reasonably priced at £45 if its the right one?

Funny enough I was looking at the tal earlier what are these ep's like then?

I like the TAL x2. I don't often use a barlow, but it certainly adds flexibility. I'm not aware of the barlow being there usually to be honest.

I'm going to bid on this ep then. What would you say would be the the best to add to my ep a 16mm maybe or do you think supplied 10mm or 25mm do the job?

Hi no don't wear glasses eyesight is spot on lol yeh I know the 10" scope is not good on cheap eyepieces but there must be a good inexpensive setup what do you recommend?

You're lucky eye relief isn't an issue.

You can't really go wrong with a set of TV Plössls, 2nd hand they're about ~£50-£60 each (maybe ~£80 for the 32mm). Either that or BCO / Hutech Orthoscopics.

I've read alot about the 32mm televue ep some say best ep ever £120 new can't seem to find it used :( ill keep looking tho. I'm looking to view dso galaxies nebula etc and planetary detail so looking for good setup before scope arrives thanks for your help tho :)

I've read alot about the 32mm televue ep some say best ep ever £120 new can't seem to find it used :( ill keep looking tho. I'm looking to view dso galaxies nebula etc and planetary detail so looking for good setup before scope arrives thanks for your help tho :)

Wanted ad on UK AB&S might help :)

And james that baader ep is it the baader q turret 2.25x barlow in johns review as this sounds quite promising and reasonably priced at £45 if its the right one?

That's the one I had in mind, yes.

James

I like the TAL x2. I don't often use a barlow, but it certainly adds flexibility. I'm not aware of the barlow being there usually to be honest.

I've never owned one and don't feel a desperate urge to given that I have quite a collection already for imaging, but I have read that the Tal can cause some vignetting. I've no idea how much or if it only happens with some scopes. It's the sort of thing that always sells though, so trying one and finding it's unsuitable wouldn't cost much.

James

You can't really go wrong with a set of TV Plössls, 2nd hand they're about ~£50-£60 each (maybe ~£80 for the 32mm). Either that or BCO / Hutech Orthoscopics.

That's a good point. I often forget their Plossl range. They seem to come up second hand reasonably frequently too. More so than Tele Vue's more expensive eps, at least.

James

I've never owned one and don't feel a desperate urge to given that I have quite a collection already for imaging, but I have read that the Tal can cause some vignetting. I've no idea how much or if it only happens with some scopes. It's the sort of thing that always sells though, so trying one and finding it's unsuitable wouldn't cost much.

James

Don't think I've noticed vignetting with mine, I'll try and see if I can spot it next chance I get :). Where did you see this?

I wish I could remember. I wasn't entirely paying attention at the time as I'm not really in the market for more barlows (though I might be tempted by a powermate :) My recollection is that it was attributed to the Tal having quite a small aperture.

James

I wish I could remember. I wasn't entirely paying attention at the time as I'm not really in the market for more barlows (though I might be tempted by a powermate :) My recollection is that it was attributed to the Tal having quite a small aperture.

James

Like I say, if the weather improves I shall let you know in this thread. Incidentally, it looked okay earlier, but it's clouded over.

Archived