Not seen this Nagler before...

JamesF

They were the forerunners of the Panoptics. I used to have the 15, 19 and 24mm ones which were 1.25". The 32mm and 40mm were 2". Again there was an earlier smooth sided version.

Thanks John, I wondered where it came from.

Looks massive against my 9mm T6. They seemed to go for this two inch fitting outside the normall 1.25 inch a fair bit, I am not sure I like it, where is the problem with one or the other. Is there an obvious reason that I am missing for this?

Nice work with the 32mm Pre Panoptic, I have never seen one of those either.

Alan.

Looks massive against my 9mm T6. They seemed to go for this two inch fitting outside the normall 1.25 inch a fair bit, I am not sure I like it, where is the problem with one or the other. Is there an obvious reason that I am missing for this?....

I think they use that approach when the eyepiece size and weight could, for some, justify a 2" focuser even though it's a 1.25" eyepiece optically.

The T6's took the shorter focal lengths from earlier ranges and shrunk them rather cleverly I thought. They also improved the quality of the coatings, some of the glass elements and the eye relief.

The T5 20mm did the same. The T2 20mm Nagler is a mighty beast around the same size and weight as the 31mm Nagler. The T5 20mm is still a 2" but very compact and about half the weight.

James,

Yes I guess that is a good point but it never troubles me to do that but I have to say I have dropped the adaptor a few times, I have one with 3 areas of concrete rash around it's edges. Maybe it does trouble me then.

Still it is what the glass within them performs like that is the most important thing, on that front I don't have any issues.

Alan.

Is that a 2" fitting?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yes it's a 2" fitting. The Tele Vue Widefields are nice eyepieces but the Panoptics that replaced them are much sharper across the field of view and have better coatings.

Archived