Hi from Doncaster

tony275

Hi, I just received my new telescope a sky watcher 130m am totally amazed at the size of it I thought they had sent the wrong one lol, Total noob can just about spot the moon, but hoping to learn alot more.

Had an interest for a while and finally got a little time to try and learn, I'll probably be asking stupid simple questions so you might want to put me on iggy now :)

first question how far does an object have to be or how close can I focus on something I'm asking because I set up the telescope and added the clock drive took it outside and managed to focus on a distant water tower " to me it looked amazing " but I tried to focus on a tv aerial close by and it wouldn't focus ?

anyway i'm babbling I better shut up and leave before I get thrown out.

Tony

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tony, you've hit the nail on the head, the further away the better. The point at which focus is achieved will depend on the eyepiece and whether there is enough 'travel' on the focuser to get the eyepiece in the right place. Reflectors, like yours, tend to have a smaller range of travel than refractors. You'll come across this a lot if you start to dabble with attaching cameras to it.

Hey folks I can't believe how helpful and friendly every one is here, It has been cloudy here tonight so I went for a drink or three but it is forecasting clearer tomorrow so thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and I'm pretty sure stupid questions will be coming soon lol

Tony

Hi Tony and welcome to SGL, if you havn`t already done so , download the free program Stellarium, it will help you find your way about the night sky. As you progress you also might like to consider obtaining a copy of Turn Left at Orion, available from most good high street book shops, very popular among those new to the hobby, as it will give you a better understanding of the night sky, with many objects to observe with a small telescope and how to find them. Enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Archived