Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ordered the big guy...NEQ6 Syntrek

emadmoussa

So basically, until early this afternoon, having sold my EQ5, I wasn't really expecting to pull the trigger on the NEQ6 just yet. A little bit of extra cash was needed, but it was magically sorted unexpectedly. And no...I didn't beg or sell my clothes...

Since it was money leaking all over I decided to order the EQDIR adapter from FLO as well..

So, guys, any tips on the coming big guy??

Also, any ideas how to get free food for the rest of the month? :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing to do is check you can tilt the mount by hand with the adjusting bolts removed. It will be tight, it's meant to be tight, BUT if you have apply an excessive amount of force by hand I would contact the supplier because it might be too tight and cause you problems down the road.

After that get it powered up with a decent 12v power supply (at least 2A) and give the axes a run around and listen for any significant tone change in the motor drive which might indicate a tight spot in the gear train. They aren't quiet so some noise should be expected.

Download the latest Ascom software and the latest EQMod software from the yahoo group here and have fun

What! £27 for a couple of bolts...that's utterly exploiting and absurd. With care I guess the Synta bolts will do just fine.

If it saves your £960 mount from a bent bolt I'd suggest its money well spent actually. That's why a great majority of folks with the NEQ6 upgrade those two bolts pronto. I didn't to start with and lived to regret it when they bent.

You've just blown a fortune on a super mount and your quibbling about £27 quid. Another couple of days at the Sally army should save you enough for these.

And there is also the bins behind the local supermarkets if you don't mind horseburgers. :p

Well, it's not about the money per se. I just can't find a reason why they're overpriced for what they actually are. According to FLO, bolt issue is not a common issue as some folks came to believe.

They are premium quality bolts with a very nice ratchet on them. True, not cheap at £27 but 100% worth it - you will be using these bolts every time you polar align the mount and they have to push a 18Kg mount head. At our latitude at 52 degrees or so its very easy to bend the North facing bolt. Truly, I would believe what we say if I were you......

Well, it's not about the money per se. I just can't find a reason why they're overpriced for what they actually are. According to FLO, bolt issue is not a common issue as some folks came to believe.

If you use the bolts correctly then you'll most likely be fine. The problem is many folks (including me) make the occasional mistake and tighten the top bolt having forgotten to slacken the bottom bolt first (or vice verca).

You don't have to fork out a fortune for replacement bolts should yours ever bend. I used standard hex head stainless steel bolts that I rounded the ends on and that I adjust with a ring spanner. The extra leverage the spanner gives actually allows finer control although admittedly its less convenient if large adjustments are required - but that isn't usually the case.

Chris.

Also don't polar align with the scope on board. I also don't think you need to push the mount with the bolts. Say you're wanting to raise the mount a little to the north; slacken off the stop bolt, push the mount north by hand and then give the bolt a turn.

On the other hand, false economy is...false!!!

Don't forget that this mount is a fairly shameless copy of the Takahashi EM200 for which you would pay about five times as much (and have about a fifth of the periodic error, but does it matter since it generally guides out?)

Olly

When you get to play with the Mount, if its only going to be set-up in one place, mark the spots where the tripod feet sit, i used a drill and masonry bit to make indents in the patio slabs, get it polar aligned and that's it, it won't need any further adjustment, ithe bolts on mine are fine 52' Degrees they have been used twice and are still straight and won't get touched again, so don't worry to much about the scare mongering there not really that bendy, a Maplin XM21X 13.8v PSU will be a good choice to power it, and i keep my Hand-controller in a freezer bag the type with a zip top, this keeps the dew/damp away, set it up with a leg pointing North so the wieghts hang over it when attached, then place the OTA in the dovetails and your ready to go.....

One of my bolts bent with just the head mounted when I first put it together so I ordered some upgraded ones, ok not cheap but if price is the issue you could always get some high tensile bolts & adjust using a spanner, although the end of the bolt would probably need to be rounded off so it doesn't chew into the aluminium head. A decent power supply is a must, I use a 13.8v 7 amp regulated power supply that was used for CB radios or leisure battery when I'm at star parties. I must admit I did have a couple of issues with mine at first but everything has been ironed out now & it is a cracking mount, much better than the EQ5 pro I first owned.

The matter of the truth, you need to adjust the altitude once and that's it. With my previous mount, I set the Altitude at 51', used my GPS and compass to get the tripod pointing North. Marked the floor for the tripod, then used the GPS and Google Star Map again to test the alignment and it seemed correct. That's it, set up once and no need to keep adjusting the alt. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

I ordered the mount from Optic Star, and they gave me a good quality regulated power supply for free. http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Mounts-Skywatcher.asp?p=0_10_5_2_0_23

The matter of the truth, you need to adjust the altitude once and that's it. With my previous mount, I set the Altitude at 51', used my GPS and compass to get the tripod pointing North. Marked the floor for the tripod, then used the GPS and Google Star Map again to test the alignment and it seemed correct. That's it, set up once and no need to keep adjusting the alt. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

If you're mount is permanently sited, or you can accurately reposition it night after night, then yes you only need to setup the Alt/Az bolts once (more likely rarely). However If you're into long exposure photography you're going to need more precision in the adjustment then setting the altitude to "51" and using compass (you don't want magnetic north anyway!).

Chris.

If you're mount is permanently sited, or you can accurately reposition it night after night, then yes you only need to setup the Alt/Az bolts once (more likely rarely). However If you're into long exposure photography you're going to need more precision in the adjustment then setting the altitude to "51" and using compass (you don't want magnetic north anyway!).

Chris.

Thanks, Chris. I appreciate the advice. Something to bear in mind surely :)

Archived