hutech orthoscipics.

The Flinty Fox

I guess we all want the best quality but within a reasonable budget, so from that point ortho. are great. And when you come across wider kit which is also nice, that's even better - hence the very long ES threads... Never had it so good :smiley:

andrew

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple more bgo's are up on abs 110/120 PLUS postage. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Crazy :rolleyes2:

I've just paid £60 for a "like new" 6mm BGO, which included £6.50 recorded delivery and I thought that a little OTT !

That's a good deal John, although it does seem the shorter focal lengths are going for less. Probably due to the shorter eye relief and FLO still having stock of the 6mm.

The longer focal lengths certainly aren't getting snapped up as quickly as you would imagine, hardly surprising at that price!!!

Enjoy it anyway

Stu

Here's another of my two pence.

Having not been in to this as long as you lot (probably) and a bit on and of as well I only brought my first ortho last month. I have always been aware of them of course, but being a newbie took them as being kind of specialized tools only for planetary etc, so never really took them into consideration. Now I know this not to be the case and realise that optically they are up there with the best premium eyepiece, with much reduced fov of course. so for me not being in a position to afford these high end eps these are great. I may not have the wide fov but a least I know that optically I am not missing that out much so the way forward for me (in my head) is to maybe stick with the othos and slap a motor drive to my mount for high mag. Not sure if this is such a good idea but seems a good idea to me.

Paul

Crazy :rolleyes2:

I've just paid £60 for a "like new" 6mm BGO, which included £6.50 recorded delivery and I thought that a little OTT !

That was a very good deal in comparison then.:D

That's a good deal John, although it does seem the shorter focal lengths are going for less. Probably due to the shorter eye relief and FLO still having stock of the 6mm.

The longer focal lengths certainly aren't getting snapped up as quickly as you would imagine, hardly surprising at that price!!!

Enjoy it anyway

Stu

Flos have gone up to £75 now.

skir, on 02 March 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

A couple more bgo's are up on abs 110/120 PLUS postage. :D

Crazy :rolleyes2:snapback.png

Damn Right!

I got my 6mm on ebay just a couple of months ago for £45 in unused condition.

It hasnt taken long for the sharks outhere to take advantage!!

Quicker the news ones arive the better!

Im really surprised Televue have not got into the "ortho" market

I think they tend to want to lead and open up new niches rather than revamp existing designs. All Nagler did that with the plossl but that was years ago and before Tele Vue were an established brand.

I think they tend to want to lead and open up new niches rather than revamp existing designs. All Nagler did that with the plossl but that was years ago and before Tele Vue were an established brand.

Agreed. I think if they thought they could add something to the market on the orthoscopic front they would have already done so. Aren't the Delos supposed to be orthoscopic, like the XW's?

Agreed. I think if they thought they could add something to the market on the orthoscopic front they would have already done so. Aren't the Delos supposed to be orthoscopic, like the XW's?

I believe that the performance of the Delos is very similar to the XW's. I'd like to try one someday soon :smiley:

Does anyone know if there is a reason why all ortho's do not adopt the volcano top design?

I have got myself some of the circle t's over the last few weeks and find the way you can almost stick them in your eye brilliant. Much much better than the 8mm plossl I have, they are so comfortable to use.

I tend to prefer the volcano topped shape but I can handle the flat topped ones as well. I know folks who prefer the flat tops. I guess it's a personal thing :smiley:

The 10mm and 6mm Baader Classic orthos have gone for a kind of hybrid approach with a small raised area in around the eye lens. In use they feel more like flat tops to me though.

Not tried a volcano top and to my uneducated eye they look odd. However, i have found that the barrel edge of my BGOs get very cold during a viewing session and i usually end up with a numb and uncomfortable eye socket/ face, so i can maybe see a plus point for the vt design after all

I had a 9mm volcano a few years ago. Just could not live with the shape. I felt as if it was going to poke me in the eye.

Even with the sort eyerelief I seem to like the 6mm BGO much more. This suprising as my 10.5 TV plossl feels much tighter and is the limit I can use int erms of eyerelief in that range.

I find VTs interefere less with my lashes but the longer docal length ones also have a nice effect where with your eyeback from the eyepiece they kind of create a feeling of the view looking as if its just hanging in space. Its hard to describe. The Edmund RKE 28mm is reputed to have this effect. I only see it in the UO VTs of 18 and 25mm and even then not always, its kindof eyeposition critical.

In fact an Edmund RKE in 28mm will probably be my next purchase.....i have a bad feeling they are about to go out of production and my instincts have been right the last three times ( Circle T, Baader, Pentax ) by the way for any Circle T fans Edmund still have theses available but they are hellish expensive over the prices UO or Glen at Lyra was selling for I believe, havent looked in a long time at tir site. Theres also an Austrian dealer who has some but they are costing around £80 a go which is a bit much.

I tend to prefer the volcano topped shape but I can handle the flat topped ones as well. I know folks who prefer the flat tops. I guess it's a personal thing :smiley:

I guess you are right and it will be a personal preference..:)

I have not looked through a BGO yet either so I can't really have a true opinion but hopefully I will soon get a chance to find out for myself.

I tried the 25mm circle t last night for the first time and find that a very nice eyepiece to use. Although a ten minute cloud break was not enough but then these are desperate opportunity times..:)

I find VTs interefere less with my lashes but the longer docal length ones also have a nice effect where with your eyeback from the eyepiece they kind of create a feeling of the view looking as if its just hanging in space. Its hard to describe. The Edmund RKE 28mm is reputed to have this effect. I only see it in the UO VTs of 18 and 25mm and even then not always, its kindof eyeposition critical.

In fact an Edmund RKE in 28mm will probably be my next purchase.....i have a bad feeling they are about to go out of production and my instincts have been right the last three times ( Circle T, Baader, Pentax ) by the way for any Circle T fans Edmund still have theses available but they are hellish expensive over the prices UO or Glen at Lyra was selling for I believe, havent looked in a long time at tir site. Theres also an Austrian dealer who has some but they are costing around £80 a go which is a bit much.

If you have any more intuition regarding the cesation of any decent EP lines please let me know before they vanish! I nearly missed out on BGO's all together and I'm rather worried that Pentax XW's will vanish before I can scrape the cash together to buy one :embarassed:

Archived