Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Hi

Is anyone interested in practising there processing skills on imgaes I have taken. I am still a novice with editing, and dont get much time to do it, and am very interested to see how my hardware is performing , and see what others can get out of my stacks.

That sounds like fun. Would be interesting to see different interpretations of the same data..........

I imagine you have much better skies down there in South Africa than here in the UK so .............Post away!

Notice how C92 is blurry. Zoom in very close on the stars and notice how for every star there is a blue star the same distance to the left and a red star right bellow a green one. Your channels are out of alignment. You need to select align channels in the final image.

Hi cp255, I have noticed that. I am still playing with DSS to get good stacks. I do have "align channels" ticked , and RGB Channel Calibration as well. Any idea what else can cause it ?

I also pick up a lot of small specks, not sure if they are noise or not. Should I use remove bad pixels cosmetic function in DSS ?

Just had a play with your M20 image which is really rather good,quite a bit of detail to be found in the nebular. :icon_salut:

If it were mine I might be inclined to crop the outer area to show the subject to advantage.

post-849-0-81480500-1362327021_thumb.png

Cloudwatcher , could you access all the files in my public folder on Dropbox , or just each file per link ? Does anyone know how I can share whole public folder in Dropbox with one link ?

here is my attempt, not sure what the issue is with stacking but some of the stars looked like donuts ?

May be better if you could dropbox all your subs?

For info I used PI dynamic background extraction

histogram

curves

SCNR

ACNR

star mask

range mask

morphological transform (closing erosion and dilation)

unsharp mask

HDR Multiscaletransform

all the above multiple times and finally dark structure enhance

post-9935-0-34803200-1362340496_thumb.pn

Had a quick go at M20. Some very nice detail coming through in the Nebula. There are some donut stars though, Do you have the "reduce noise by median filter" option ticked under the star detection threshold tab, this sometimes gave me donut shaped stars when I had it ticked.

The tiff seemed to already be stretched slightly, my dss stettings would something like this.

Under Result Tab "Align RGB channels..." checked.

For lights anything less than ~15 (or 3hrs of data) I use the Median setting.

I use Per Channel Background Calibration

Under cosmetic everything unchecked

and under Star Detection Threshold tab "reduce noise by median filter" unchecked

These settings have worked for me after a lot of trail and error.

I try not to let DSS do anything to the image other than stack it, I do all the stretching and cosmetic work in PS or PixInsight.

Anyway your equipment seems to be working very well and this is a nice capture.

post-6813-0-32642800-1362411678_thumb.pn

Edited by 3ggman

If it were mine I might be inclined to crop the outer area to show the subject to advantage.

I know it's not mine but I thought I'd post a crop anyway. :grin:

Hope you don't mind.

post-849-0-93403300-1362426391_thumb.jpg

Everyone, please feel free to use images any in any way. Please will someone also let me know if all the images in my public folder in dropbox are visible, as I have put about 10 unedited stacks in there for everyone. Do I need to put a link in to image , or can I just make whole folder accesable ?

Everyone, please feel free to use images any in any way. Please will someone also let me know if all the images in my public folder in dropbox are visible, as I have put about 10 unedited stacks in there for everyone. Do I need to put a link in to image , or can I just make whole folder accesable ?

I could only access the three original image links you posted. I assume another link will be required for the whole folder.

Just curious, i see that one one of the pics at least, the colors are missaligned. But i'm also curious, as to why do you have a black spot in the centre of may stars?

Edited by Jannis

C83, DSS Stacked , 30 x 5min 1600 ISO, 22 Darks, DSS adjustments aplied http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50035099/C83%20Stack%201%20Adjustments%20embe.FTS

Same thing , no adjustments applied to colour balance, just stacked.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50035099/C83%20Stack%201%20Adjustments%20embe.FTS

EARLY ATTEMPS :

C92 , 6 x 3m ,400 ISO , Last winter http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50035099/C92%206%20x%203min%20400ISO%20.TIF

M8, Early attemp http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50035099/M8%20Final%20Stack%201.TIF

M31 Fist Galaxy Try http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50035099/M31%20Astro%20Stack.tiff