Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starting Solar viewing

I believe Thousand Oaks is a well respected company in the U.S. but they're not much heard of here in the U.K. Baader film is very good but the filter you link to is a different beast altogether and I've not heard of it before. If you are Europe based I'd suggest starting with the Baader film as it will be cheaper. If U.S. then go for the TO.

Lots of ways to make a DIY filter using Baader film, but here's a Youtube video

As the video says, make certain that the filter cannot dislodge, especially important in breezy weather.

Never leave a scope set up for solar observing unattended, there's no telling what someone could do who doesn't understand the danger to eyesight should the filter fall off or be removed.

About 30x magnification is fine for solar viewing, so a 15mm eyepiece with your Pronto would do the job.

Regards, Ed.

A Pronto is great for solar viewing with Baader film. I made the filter out of a round, lidded box from hobbycraft. I cut holes in the bottom and lid, tapped the film over the hole in the box, then covered it with the lid and double sided tape.

med_gallery_5915_1179_88886.jpg

Archived