Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Remote robotic telescopes

Zeale

Hey guys.

I was just having a look about the forum and I couldn't seem to find much around here about remote robotic telescopes like those available through SLOOH and iTelecope. Does anyone make use RRTs? If so, what is the best way to get into this kind of observing and how does one learn the ropes. Who is best in the market and/or best value for money?

Suspect several reasons they are not mentioned much:

I know that for SLOOH you have a monthly fee, may not be applicable if you are doing something like an OU degree, so there is a cost involved.

Many here have a scope so want to use the one they own.

I know that SLOOH has been off line a fair bit recently, you can end up paying for something that is not available. Book it for what is a cloudy night or windy night and your turn has gone.

If available you do not get exclusive access, you may get no access. You take your turn.

If you do get to "use" the scope I think you will get to "see" one item, if I take a scope out then looking at 10 things is easy if planned right.

You do not actually see what you want, the image is taken and sent to you, if you want to see all the messiers then go look at Wikipedia now. You get to see images of all 110 in 5 minutes, and free.

The scopes mentioned are fine if on something like an OU course, you may have to collect data on something that is too faint for a normal amateur scope, you may not have a scope.

Archived