Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Off Axis Guider

FLO

I got those horizontal stripes a lot with the QHY5. The Lodestar doesn't do it. I tried taking a dark but it didn't seem to do much.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sub looks good Steve, you can probably fine tune the aggression settings in PHD to smooth that line out a little more, but an OSC index figure around 0.5 and a lower RMS figure is pretty good.

As for the stripes, is the camera running from a powered hub? The only time I've had issues like that with any guide camera was when the power to the hub wasn't turned on and it affected the quality of the image.

Sub looks good Steve, you can probably fine tune the aggression settings in PHD to smooth that line out a little more, but an OSC index figure around 0.5 and a lower RMS figure is pretty good.

As for the stripes, is the camera running from a powered hub? The only time I've had issues like that with any guide camera was when the power to the hub wasn't turned on and it affected the quality of the image.

Thanks Tim. I only had a very basic prod at the Brain settings in PHD, mainly to tone down the calibration step (I was using a finderguider before).

The guide cam was running through an active USB lead and a 3mtr extension. I'm waiting for Ian King to deliver my new obsy (woohoo), so when that gets set up I'll have a PC in the obs. I can then get rid of the active USB leads.

• 9 months later...

Sorry to revive this topic but can anyone advise if this OAG would fit on the back of an ED80 fitted with the matching FF/FR such that i can use a 600d to image with - if the answer is yes - what else would I need to buy to make it work (considering getting a lodestar as the guide camera) (please bear in mind I'm new to all this :-) )

Cheers

• 9 months later...

I'm in the United States but I'm interested in this OAG for one reason:

I have a Celestron EdgeHD 8 with the .7x focal reducer. Celestron's OAG is too long for me to be able to achieve the required 105mm back focus when using the reducer. I'm using a Canon 700D (T5i)

Could anyone help me figure out to see if this OAG would work? And which adapters would I need to achieve focus with and without the focal reducer?

Maybe a stupid question but does the length of the back focus has to be exactly at the 105 with the focal reducer or 133 without or could it be shorter and then I can adjust the focus knob? Or are they different things focus knob and back focus distance?

Thanks in advance!

Archived