Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon filters

Hi, I'm all new to this stargazing so don't no that much, I know a lot about astromeny but telescopes not much lol. I have a jessops 800 80 as a starter telescope and it's canny. It's a relflector and I observed the moon, jupiter, Saturn, and also the Orion Nebula. Now I want to move up a bit with some filters and this is the part where I'm stuck. What filters do I buy to make my observing more fun ??? Thanks

My take is the opposite. A moon filter is unnecessary unless you find the image too bright. A moon filter will otherwise add nothing to your views you cannot see without one.

Colour filters can make picking out certain features on planets a little easier, but, and it's a big but, don't expect a huge difference as its tenuous at best.

Nebulae filters on the other and are very useful tools indeed, and no deep sky observer should be without them IMO.

I use the Baader Neodymium filter as a moon filter when more than about 50% illuminated. works really well enhancing contrast and also does a great job on Jupiter and Mars.

I have other filters but would probably buy/recommend this first.

a cheaper option is a Skywatcher light pollution filter. used for about £10 I think.

My take is the opposite. A moon filter is unnecessary unless you find the image too bright. A moon filter will otherwise add nothing to your views you cannot see without one.

Colour filters can make picking out certain features on planets a little easier, but, and it's a big but, don't expect a huge difference as its tenuous at best.

Nebulae filters on the other and are very useful tools indeed, and no deep sky observer should be without them IMO.

I was thinking about the scope as well its not going to be very good at deep sky observing so i didnt mention a OHC or OIII filter.

Archived