BST ED

Conna

You find these eyepieces with lots of different branding on them and lots of different prices too !

All the same eyepieces though. You get quite a lot of this re-branding with astro equipment - it can get quite confusing.

They used to be BST Explorers, then there was some dispute about the name Explorer - seemed someone else had it but what for I have no idea. So they renamed them to BST Starguider.

They are still often called BST Exploroers or sometimes Explorer's or BST's, just to cause confusion. My problem is I have them as BST Explorers but that isn't the name any longer.

To be honest why Alan at Skys the Limit didn't not get them branded as something like STL ED2 I don't know. The branding seems easy enough, they would then carry the reference to Sky's the Limit as STL, and ED2 refers to the 2 bits of ED glass inside. I notice that Telescope Service have done this, on their site they are TS ED2.

....To be honest why Alan at Skys the Limit didn't not get them branded as something like STL ED2 I don't know. The branding seems easy enough, they would then carry the reference to Sky's the Limit as STL, and ED2 refers to the 2 bits of ED glass inside. I notice that Telescope Service have done this, on their site they are TS ED2.....

I think it would cost him a bit more. The TS branded ones cost a fair bit more than Alan charges. As Chris, perhaps, aludes, whether these look-alike eyepieces are really absolutely identical is impossible to tell without trying them side by side. It's possible that the big names who sell these like Orion (USA), Astro Tech or TS cream off the best graded units or that small aspects of the specification are changed such as the quality of the multi-coatings, light baffling, etc which can make small differences to performance.

The ones from Skies the Limit are very popular here though so I'm sure they are a safe bet :smiley:

I've ordered the 8mm BST Starguider to compare against my BGO 9mm. Hoping the BST will be a good alternative for when i don't fancy reaching for the BGO. And also a good cheap outreach eyepiece i can use instead of the BGO or ES.

The 15mm comes tomorrow so can't wait for some clear skies to try it out. But as a beginner I've only got the stock 25mm and 10mm to compare to, still can't wait to see the difference.

I have received the 15mm but I'm finding it hard to look through, I have the EP eye pad fully wound out but still keep seeing my eyelashes and only half the mirror image. Is this me, is it just inexperience, I'm using a 150 dobsonian and find the stock 10mm easier to use. I have the same problem with the stock 25mm. When I hit the sweet spot it's an amazing image with the 15mm but I have to mess about a lot to get it

Any ideas?

Yeah, been out tonight and had the EP fully out and it was better, the quality is much better then the stock, loads sharper on Jupiter. I'm glad I invested!! I'll be getting another they are very well built, but might get a BCO next?

Thanks for the advice

Archived