Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

stuck in an observing rut....

Meddle

Just lately I always look around my favourites like the ones you mention first of all, then try and search for maybe one or two new targets. I had found that I was spending all my limited observing time searching for maybe one object, failing, and coming in feeling disillusioned and therefore not really enjoying the experience. Of course when you find your target it's a hell of a buzz, but I've decided not to get "hung up" on lists, but enjoy my limited observing time, even if it means spending more time revisiting old friends.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

I'm relatively new at this wonderful hobby & I'm loving every second of it, I've also found my previous fondness of clouds declining rapidly, but that's another story! When I do manage to get some time in on the scope my routine is as follows:

Excitedly set up the scope, Orion Nebula, andromeda, Jupiter, Moon, Orion Nebula, andromeda, Jupiter, Moon, Orion Nebula, andromeda, Jupiter, Moon - well you get the idea!

So...I was wondering what you would suggest I try to find next, say a top 10 of your favourite objects.

(I have an 8inch dobsonian & Mostly observe in rural (ish) essex)

I am in the same situation with the addition of M45 Pleiades which is wonderful!

Now have Turn Left at Orion which looks great value. Have been practicing some targets in Stellarium. Itching to get scope out again.

Never really noticed clouds before starting observing not long ago. Is it always this bad or just lately? My last clear sky was 19th Feb when I had an hour before fog rolled in and managed to sketch my avatar.

The OP has described my every session, although I tend to fail at finding andromeda usually due to the limited viewing angle I have.

i checked out stellarium to create a list of things I wanted to view, then used skymap on the iPad when I got the scope out to help me locate them, but still only found Jupiter and Orion Nebula!

Well said Moonshane, and by complete chance I had just downloaded the Lunar 100 and chart this afternoon as I felt I needed something to get orientated with.

http://www.skyandtel...on/3308811.html

Its also nice to use stellarium to plan a session for your particular viewing location and horizon.

I have explored this further and Wikipedia has some helpful info...

http://the-moon.wikispaces.com/Lunar+100

apart from all the great advice above ,id recomend this book http://www.amazon.co...61818902&sr=8-1

illustrated guide to astronomical wonders. most objects within would be doable in your scope,although the sky conditions as always are important.

the book covers each constellation,so rather than spinning the scope all over the place,you could plan a set of objects within a certain area.

it gives a brief description of each object ,most with a small black and white photo ( to keep in with visual) along with its surface brightness and a guide to where it's located.

its a great aid. no doubt there are many more books like this, but i really like this book . well worth the money . its like a next step up from "turn left at orion" which is also a great book to own.

I have found this to be an excellent companion to a night of observing - the black and white photos really help confirm that you have the right target!! I also tend to annotate it when I have found an object. I usually try and find an ep combination which fits the 1degree Fov of the photos .

I have just been reading through March's Sky at Night magazine, and the 6 items they list for the Deep Sky tour I plan on hitting tonight!

For those of you without the magazine, they are:

1. M53 Star Cluster

2. M85 Galaxy

3. Needle Galaxy (NGC 4565)

4. Melotte 111 Open Cluster

5. Cor Caroli Double Star

6. Caldwell 21 Dwarf Galaxy

I have used Stellarium to gauge roughly where they will be between 9pm and 11pm tonight (gotta work tomorrow, can't stay out later!) and will try my best to find these bad boys. With my 130p Skywatcher, I think that 5 and 6 may be pushing it, if I can even get that far!

The point of my post really, this magazine has given me an enthusiasm on what to look for, and not just point at Orion or Jupiter. And going out knowing what to look for, and where it is before even getting the scope out will greatly help me I hope.

Archived