Narrowband

stuck in an observing rut....

Meddle

Hello,

I'm relatively new at this wonderful hobby & I'm loving every second of it, I've also found my previous fondness of clouds declining rapidly, but that's another story! When I do manage to get some time in on the scope my routine is as follows:

Excitedly set up the scope, Orion Nebula, andromeda, Jupiter, Moon, Orion Nebula, andromeda, Jupiter, Moon, Orion Nebula, andromeda, Jupiter, Moon - well you get the idea!

So...I was wondering what you would suggest I try to find next, say a top 10 of your favourite objects.

(I have an 8inch dobsonian & Mostly observe in rural (ish) essex)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

best thing to do is have targeted sessions :

double stars in a constellation

Lunar 100

galaxies in a cluster

open clusters in a constellation

I use Sky and telescope pocket atlas and Cambridge double star atlas - both excellent

I agree about a telrad, makes funding so much easier.

I have the two volume Sanner and Kepple night sky observer's guide. http://www.willbell.com/handbook/nitesky.htm

It is overkill for an 8 inch (it's overkill for any aperture!!) but it's a lovely book with a dated charm and I enjoy it for its own sake as well as for planning.

Or there are more modest guides to the sky. Turn Left at Orion. This one by David Levy, who's usually very good; http://www.amazon.com/David-Levys-Guide-Night-Sky/dp/0521797535

Plus a good paper atlas like SkyAtlas2000 by Wil Tirion.

Olly

I agree about a telrad, makes funding so much easier.

If only that were true, I'd have several :)

Many people start off by working their way through the Messier catalogue. I think that's a good place to start because they are perhaps the easier targets and allow you to get some experience before potentially moving on to harder targets.

There's also a monthly guide posted to SGL of possible targets and events for the coming month.

James

Why not do what a lot of people seem to do and start with the Messier list, then move on to the Caldwell list. That'll give you 200 objects to start with, although a few Caldwell's are southern Hemisphere jobs. You can then go for open clusters and globular clusters and once you've got a little more experience you can start trying to split the doubles.

Although if this weather doesn't clear up soon you can join the rest of us frustrated observers.

Ian :smiley:

Actually, I'll re-iterate something Moonshane mentioned. Have a plan that you've worked out far enough ahead that you're clear about what you're going to try to do. If you have a list of targets and whatever other information you need to find them you'll rarely be short of things to look at.

James

Well said Moonshane, and by complete chance I had just downloaded the Lunar 100 and chart this afternoon as I felt I needed something to get orientated with.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/moon/3308811.html

Its also nice to use stellarium to plan a session for your particular viewing location and horizon.

In line with what other contributors have said - Turn Left at Orion - priceless from the point of a beginner and a great reference whatever stage you are at, combine with Stellarium. As for other suggestions as to what to look at currently, how about open clusters such as M35 in Gemini.

These days I seem to spend more time writing up an observing list than actually doing any observing.

Sometimes I choose objects by constellation. I pick a well placed constellation and do a list of the objects in it, starting with the easiest first.

The astronomy mags usually have a monthly feature for objects to observe.

After having used my goto thing for a year or so I decided to make a dob base. The intention was to learn the sky but the...... Oh yes...., the weather, has not really being helping us much has it.!

Anyway, my intention is to stick with one good constellation a night bar the odd favourite. I figured that this way, at least in theory (practice would be welcomed) I would learn my way around and get an in depth(ish) map in my head.

I don't know whether this approach would be something that would work for you... Hell, I don't really even know if it works for me yet :rolleyes:

There are some great suggestions already but investment in "Turn Left at Orion" and / or a pocket sky atlas would be worthwhile.

The Lunar 100 is a great collection of objects to hunt for on the surface of the Moon.

While the big white one is out of the way, I would draw attention to three deep sky object lists.

1. The Messier list is the most famous. Some of the brightest 110 objects in the sky catalogued by 18th century French Astronomer Charles Messier (well, most of them) when he was actually looking for comets. As you have seen the Andromeda galaxy (M31) and Orion nebula (M42), you have already made a start.

2. The Caldwell list. A list of a further 109 complied by Sir Patrick Moore. These are generally considered the next step but some objects (like the Hyades) are very bright.

3. The Herschel 400. These are all possible with modest equipment in good skies but are mostly a bit harder to find than the previous two lists.

Given we are now approaching the end of February, the ten Messier objects I would go for next are;

M81 / M82 - a pair of bright galaxies in Ursa Major. M81 is nearly face on. M82 is very side on and makes a nice comparison to the brighter neighbour.

M65 / M66 - a pair of galaxies in Leo. Not as bright but make an interesting trio with the feinter NGC 3628.

M64 - the Black Eye galaxy in Coma Berenices. Has quite a grainy texture to it.

M44 - the Beehive cluster. Not as bright as the Pleiades but a great cluster none the less.

M3 - bright globular cluster in Canes Venatici.

M13 - perhaps the Northern hemisphere's most famous globular cluster. Rises in the small hours of the morning but is becoming visible earlier and earlier.

M35 - a bright open cluster in Gemini. Nearby cluster NGC 2158 may be visible in the same field of view.

M57 - the Ring nebula. A morning object but perhaps the most satisfying planetary nebula.

A couple more not on Messier's list but on the Caldwell list are the double cluster (NGC 869 and NGC 884) in Perseus and NGC 2392, the Eskimo nebula.

Saturn is rising ever earlier and is a fine morning object.

Happy hunting!

apart from all the great advice above ,id recomend this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-Guide-Astronomical-Wonders-Observer/dp/0596526857/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361818902&sr=8-1

illustrated guide to astronomical wonders. most objects within would be doable in your scope,although the sky conditions as always are important.

the book covers each constellation,so rather than spinning the scope all over the place,you could plan a set of objects within a certain area.

it gives a brief description of each object ,most with a small black and white photo ( to keep in with visual) along with its surface brightness and a guide to where it's located.

its a great aid. no doubt there are many more books like this, but i really like this book . well worth the money . its like a next step up from "turn left at orion" which is also a great book to own.

Something that often gets overlooked is double star observing.

There are some real beauties that aren't difficult but but really worth the effort. My favourite is Alberio (b Cygni)

When you exhaust the easy targets try for increasingly harder ones!

I used to use Burnham's Celestial Handbook as an reference before going out with the scope. A bit of in depth info about an object helps make all the more interesting!

stellarium is a great place to start and turn left at Orion. Some clusters will provide you with some great sights. Plan your sessions if you know its going to be clear it saves time scratching your head in the cold thinking, what next?

Hi I must say I seem to like the idea of observing rather than the actual doing, I like the equipment and programs on tele and the books etc, but often the idea of setting up out in the cold and dark puts me off and I get fed up after an hour or so and pack up to get back in the warm, probably makes me a wus I expect

There really isn't anything wrong with armchair astronomy.

It's a great subject to enjoy without actually observing. Even though my old scope was mothballed for over 10 years and I'm just getting back into it, I'v never really left astronomy.

But even in my keenest periods I never felt guilty for not bothering to get the scope out. TBH the sky is rarely so good that I think I'm missing a great opportunity!

Hi I must say I seem to like the idea of observing rather than the actual doing, I like the equipment and programs on tele and the books etc, but often the idea of setting up out in the cold and dark puts me off and I get fed up after an hour or so and pack up to get back in the warm, probably makes me a wus I expect

Not at all!

I think the beauty of this hobby is that its not all about pointing your scope to the skies and freezing your bits off, the observing lists and books above are made even better with a little research and actually learning a little about the objects your viewing. :)

Thanks for all the great advice, a bit of plotting & scheming while its cloudy will certainly make the most of the currently rare opportunity to use the scope - ill have some thoroughly well prepared & probably laminated plans for evenings of viewing by the time the cloud clears!

Archived