Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Red screen app for android device

skir

I'm looking for an app that can do this. I know sky safari which I use has red screen mode but I guess this only works when working with that app. I need a programme that will show everything in red.

I also plan to dim the screen as far as possible too. I've looked at red film to put over the screen but this seems a less elegant solution and I'm unsure as to whether it would affect the use of the touch screen or not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

It'd be for my nexus 7 which is of thought would be easier to install stuff on than a phone.

Makes no difference. The Android OS locks certain functionality down. Without rooting the OS you can't do as you would like. Dimming apps are available but one that puts a red screen over, I have yet to find.

£1.99 red cellophane from hobbeycraft for 500mm x 3 meters. its worked for my phone, laptop, torches, car interior lights. Fantastic price and works perfectly.

I was trying to avoid the cellophane approach if at all possible, but I may have to go down that route. Thanks for the information. Is there any advantage to using rubylith which is supposed to be designed for the job or does the cheap stuff work just as well?

I've looked at red film to put over the screen but this seems a less elegant solution and I'm unsure as to whether it would affect the use of the touch screen or not.

I understand what you mean, but I managed to make a red filter for my iPhone that actually doesn't look that bad. I traced a screen protector onto the sheet of red film and cut that out. It fits inside the case for my phone too so no need for tape or anything to hold it down. It also doesn't affect the touch screen ability.

HTH

Well I went with buying lux. At under 2 quid it seemed a small gamble. First impressions are it is very good and it has an astronomy mode for red light. It has a lot of customisation available in it too. Looking forward to trying it out in the field.

Yes that's the one! It saves your battery too by conttolling thr screen brightness. The only thing I would suggest is that you set the minimum brightness

To a figure that suits you. I use -50% on my Samsung Galaxy S3

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Yes that's the one! It saves your battery too by conttolling thr screen brightness. The only thing I would suggest is that you set the minimum brightness

To a figure that suits you. I use -50% on my Samsung Galaxy S3

Well it seems very good so far Kevin so thanks for the heads up. I guess you mean set the maximum brightness from within lux rather than the devices own settings? Does this also adjust the brightness of the red astronomy mode too? And are the astronomy mode settings adjustable with all the controls in the software?

Sorry for all the questions but I can't see a help command in the software. That would be my only criticism of it.

Ah, just found the info section, though it hasn't fully answered my questions.

Under settings/modify linked samples, edit the brightness setting for 0 lux to a low value (I use -50%). You might have to experiment a little but the aim is to get the minimum screen brightness as low as possible when it's completely dark. You should just be able to read the screen with night mode on. Don't use the night mode on sky safari a the same time because the effect is doubled up and it's hard to see anything at all! Hope this helps

Under settings/modify linked samples, edit the brightness setting for 0 lux to a low value (I use -50%). You might have to experiment a little but the aim is to get the minimum screen brightness as low as possible when it's completely dark. You should just be able to read the screen with night mode on. Don't use the night mode on sky safari a the same time because the effect is doubled up and it's hard to see anything at all! Hope this helps

Tried out your settings last night and they work well. Managed to keep the light from the screen really low but was still visible. The true test will be when I go out to observe, if these clouds ever clear off!:rolleyes:

I tried it out last night and it worked very well. I think I could run it at an even lower light level possibly. There was very little glow from the screen at all.

Excellent! :D

Yep, I doubt I'd of ever found out about that without the excellent resource that is sgl.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived