Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Total Beginner Advice on the Messier Catalogue

blueroom

Hello, I'm a total newbie at this but I quite like the idea of scanning the skies for the Messier objects.

I've downloaded a handy PDF Messier catalogue but was just wondering do I need a special filter to see them? Or should I buy a filter to block out light pollution as I live in town and there's usually a yellowish glow in the sky.

Thanks.

Hello, I'm a total newbie at this but I quite like the idea of scanning the skies for the Messier objects.

I've downloaded a handy PDF Messier catalogue but was just wondering do I need a special filter to see them? Or should I buy a filter to block out light pollution as I live in town and there's usually a yellowish glow in the sky.

Thanks.

I'm practically in the middle of a city with the same scope - I wouldn't worry about an LP filter just yet. Best to start with the brighter Messiers first, and then steadily work your way down.

I live in a very light polluted area (I've posted a pic of what I have to cope with elsewhere so I won't do it again here!) and still managed to see 9 Messier objects and 5 Caldwell (NB: the Caldwell objects were all found on the same night) without the use of a filter. I know that this provably doesn't sound like a lot, but I've only been trying since the middle of November, and we've not exactly had the weather on our side since before Christmas!

I would say that a lot of DSO observing does depend upon a lot of different conditions, not just light pollution. There are other factors to take into account. Atmospheric conditions are equally important, as are the use of various 'tricks' to help your vision - like getting your eyes fully adjusted to the dark, using averted vision etc.

I would also suggest trying to find a local, safe dark site nearby to you. Whilst it is more convenient to observe from your garden etc, for the really faint DSOs, a dark site would be very advantageous.

HTH

Hiya, I have manged to find quite a few mesiers without a filter, I did buy one eventually as they can make nebulae stand out especially in areas where light polution is an issue.

Hope thid helps :smiley:

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to all this - where did you download the messier catalogue from?

Phil

There are a number of places you can get this information, including Wikipedia.

For a slightly more comprehensive list, there is this link http://www.deepskywatch.com/files/dso-guide/DSO-guide-best666-const-mag.pdf. This also contains many bright objects not included on Charles Messier's list.

Other lists of DSOs are the slightly harder Caldwell and Herschel 400, many of which are duplicated in the link.

For suitable targets, it is worth buying "Turn Left at Orion". This is a great introduction and gives you realistic expectations of what you will be able to see. Most pocket star atlases will show brighter DSO locations too, including most Messiers.

Happy hunting!

It's also worth bearing in mind that a great deal of patience will be required.

Like others have already said, a dark sky preferably with a low view of the souther horizon will be essential for many targets.

Sagittarius has a large number of Messier objects but most of them will be difficult at the very least from a light polluted urban location.

Good luck and enjoy! :)

I've struggled to see Sagittarius!

I've only seen it properly myself from the latitudes of Tenerife and Turkey!

I think I've only spotted Antares from my home town a handful of times :shocked: but then South isn't a great direction for me. The skyglow from Blackpool is never ending even outside the Illuminations season :(

Archived