Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

** Heads Up** Skywatcher Aero 35mm on Astroboot

russ.will

Indeed, but not for me, or I wouldn't have posted a heads up! :grin:

Russell

Not for me either.

Exit pupil is too large (7mm in a light polluted sky with street lights shining around isn't a good idea) and it's 2", and the Heritage only accepts 1.25" :lol:.

Nice price but I had the 40mm and I found that soft at the sides even at F7.

Alan.

That's quite a surprise Alan. We have a member at the club who has an F5 300P with a 30mm Aero ED and the views are very good to within 10% of the edge of field. It seems on a par with the Meade 5000 28mm SWA in comparison and not too far off a Panoptic 27mm. Everyone was quite impressed with Aero ED. Perhaps the 30mm is the sweet spot for the design.

Fredster

That is very interesting. I too had a 28mm SWA and it was at the same time as I had the 40mm Aero, it wasn't the Aero I bought it in the States but it was the same thing, Astro Pro I think. The SWA was as sharp as a razor at F 5.26 which is my fastest scope and the F7 I was talking about was a 115mm APM refractor, it is strange how we find different results, could even be the eyepieces not being the same quality.

Alan.

Fredster

That is very interesting. I too had a 28mm SWA and it was at the same time as I had the 40mm Aero, it wasn't the Aero I bought it in the States but it was the same thing, Astro Pro I think. The SWA was as sharp as a razor at F 5.26 which is my fastest scope and the F7 I was talking about was a 115mm APM refractor, it is strange how we find different results, could even be the eyepieces not being the same quality.

Alan.

Variability in QC sounds very likely :) Perhaps you had the Astrotech Titan type II? Same eyepiece as the Aero and TMB Paragon. They were quite highly rated on CN, just like the Paradigm.

Fredster,

That's the very fellow. I bought it when I was in the States once. I liked everything about it apart from the edges, for me they were not sharp. At the time I had a full range of Meade 5000 SWA and I was looking for something a bit lighter than the 40mm SWA Meade, they dropped lighter bombs than this once. I thought it was soft in my F 10 LX but found the collimation was a touch out, but the Meade showed sharp stars, that I will never understand.

Alan.

I can't vouch for the aero, by had a similar experience to Alan but with a hyperion aspheric 31 - similar performance to aero by all accounts. The outer 10- 15% was soft and that was at F7. The Meade 34 SWA i had and the 24 SWA i still have - were pin sharp to the edge.

andrew

Archived