Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSO's with Pentax Kx unmodded?

Welrod50

All,

A while back I posted to see if anyone could assist in directing me towards a firm who can remove the IR filter from my Pentax Kx and aside from a couple of places in the USA, I pretty much drew a blank. I did find somewhere in UK but they only repaired Pentax cameras and would not take out the filter (for some reason). Aside from purchasing a pre-modified Canon I think unless I want to send it to the States, I'm snookered.

Now, I have not discounted going down the Canon EOS 350D route, but wanted to stick to Kx as the high iso noise is pretty much on a par with full frame Nikons up to 1600 iso and still very good beyond that! So, if I can't remove the IR blocking filter then what realistically can I image with it still in??

I've tried M42 which looks quite purple and I do know that Ha is affected quite a lot here, as are other emission nebulae so my question really is this.

What Nebulae, galaxies and clusters can I expect to image with some degree of colour accuracy in the northern hemisphere? Anything brighter than mag 6 really too, as LP takes its toll where I am and my 130 PDS has its limits.

Any advice at all greatfully received!

Cheers all :)

I have. ISO 1250, x30 30 second subs last week. No nebulosity at all, and certainly no hints of blue. My next attempt will be iso 4000 for 30 secs each, with more subs and more darks and bias frames to counter the noise. I imagine I will pick something up there, but am also interested in trying to capture some emission nebulae. I know it wont make much difference on clusters, but I would like to branch out a bit.

Thanks for replying too :)

Stu, when you say small exposures, how small and how many subs? TBH, I think I need to shove the ISO up a lot more (or invest in a synguider). I can shoot bulb with the Kx but it limits the iso to 1600 and I get trailing after about 60 seconds (or at least I did the other night with a decent polar align).

I don't remember exactly, but it was before I got my trigger, so would be limited to 60s. I remember they were visiblenon single subs.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

OK, hopefully I might get opportunity to have another crack at the sisters again over this next week or so if the cloud holds off. I will be interested to see if I can manage some emission. I was going to have a decent go at M42 the other night also, but from where it sits now, its just behind a neighbours fence and trees from 8pm onwards so might struggle now until next winter.

Thanks for the input chaps.

Archived