Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

Photonhunting in wintery Southern France

pietervdv

Hello all,

2 weeks ago I spent another great week at Olly his place (for the 7th time already). It was the second time I visited

in the winter. It was also the first light (under dark skies) for my new homebuilt Newtonian, a fully corrected 10inch f/3.8 astrograph.

I used my em-200 mount and an sbig st-8300 to make the images. Guiding was done off axis with a lodestar and a TS oag9.

Data reduction done in Astroart. All processing was done in PS CS5.

The first target was the showpiece in Orion, M42

Exposure was 2h ( 10 min subs) for L, 1.5 for RGB (5min subs, binned 2x2), so 3.5 h in total.

M42%20final_thumb.jpg

Bigger version:

http://www.astronomi...y/M42 final.jpg

The next target is probably less known, NGC 5899 in Bootes:

This is a faint galaxy which has some very dim tidal streams around it. Luminance about 7h (subs 20min), RGB 2h. So about 9 h in total.

The galactic cluster bottom right of the inset, stands 3.6 billion lightyears away.

ngc5899_thumb.jpg

Bigger version:

http://www.astronomi...sky/ngc5899.jpg

And a pic of my setup:

newton_small.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Best regards,

Pieter

• Like 2

thats very nice the processing is perfect, and the scope looks awesome, just out of interest how do you collimate and focus? been having a few problems with my F3.6 on the collimation side

Thanks! For collimation I use the Catseye tools. I use the Cheshire to collimate my centerspotted primary mirror and the Autocollimator to adjust the secondary.

The catseye tools are great and way more accurate than a laser. To focus I use a Bahtinov mask, focus is critical at f/3.8

Excellent pics and well done on making your own scope. Nice to see the EM200 can handle a scope that big too. How heavy is the scope/camera/guiding gear?

Thanks Tom, the ota weighs about 14 kg, add to that the correcor + ccd +fw almost 16kg. The em-200 carries it, but it is riding the fence, if there is any exposure to wind it gets difficult...

Best regards, Pieter

Stunning , Pieter, though of course I'd had the sneak preview!

What do I think of the diff spikes? Well, the first thing I think of them is that they tell you Pieter made an almighty fine job of his fast astrograph because the collimation and slimness of the spikes is astounding. The vanes are unusual, very thin (hence the finesse of the spikes) and deriving their strength from their depth. Most of the professional fast corrected Newts use a thick-vaned spider but it's pretty obvious to me whose design is best. It's a beautiful scope as well as an effective one.

I look forward to seeing it (and Pieter!) again...

Olly

Two fantastic images Pieter.

What a lovely M42 (clean vibrant colours and sublime detail - the joys of imaging from a truly dark site!) I don't mind diffraction spikes at all, but do feel that the larger ones (although inevitable) are starting to detract from this great M42 shot...

Although a mammoth task, I wonder if a prolonged session with the sensitively applied use of the 'spot healing brush' might be helpful - just on the larger spikes...? The shot certainly warrants a go.....

The NGC 5899 picture really is a joy - just been taking an extended look at the bigger version! Sooo many faint fuzzies to find (actually not that faint in this shot!)

The 3.6 billion light years cluster... a distance that is truly mind boggling ! :eek:

And all captured with a fine instrument that you can say you crafted yourself - wow! :smiley:

Nice mount too!

Great post...

Damian

Those are two very nice pictures. While the M42 certainly goes bam-pow! the second shows almost impossibly small and round stars, and a very high detail level in the galaxies. Great job.

Hello all,

2 weeks ago I spent another great week at Olly his place (for the 7th time already). It was the second time I visited

in the winter. It was also the first light (under dark skies) for my new homebuilt Newtonian, a fully corrected 10inch f/3.8 astrograph.

I used my em-200 mount and an sbig st-8300 to make the images. Guiding was done off axis with a lodestar and a TS oag9.

Data reduction done in Astroart. All processing was done in PS CS5.

The first target was the showpiece in Orion, M42

Exposure was 2h ( 10 min subs) for L, 1.5 for RGB (5min subs, binned 2x2), so 3.5 h in total.

M42%20final_thumb.jpg

Bigger version:

http://www.astronomi...y/M42 final.jpg

The next target is probably less known, NGC 5899 in Bootes:

This is a faint galaxy which has some very dim tidal streams around it. Luminance about 7h (subs 20min), RGB 2h. So about 9 h in total.

The galactic cluster bottom right of the inset, stands 3.6 billion lightyears away.

ngc5899_thumb.jpg

Bigger version:

http://www.astronomi...sky/ngc5899.jpg

And a pic of my setup:

newton_small.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Best regards,

Pieter

Beautiful pictures especially the m42 really like that one hope you don't mind but I've saved it for my screen saver :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk