Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using heaters in tents - effect on seeing?

I go to a star party for both the social side and for imaging/observing. I am a veteran of nine star parties and have SGL8 coming up in a couple of weeks. In the last few years I have notice a significant rise in the use of heaters in tents at star parties. I used one myself twice last year.

However, I do have concerns that the use of heaters in tents could cause signficant deteriation of the seeing, particularly when viewing/imaging targets near the horizon. I haven't personally experienced any problems surrounding this issue, but I was wondering what other peoples' experience was.

I guess its going to happen as people like their comforts :)

But then again if you wanted the best seeing conditions you wouldnt be in a Campsite with 150 other people (how much heat is given off there ?)

As always life is a compromise........

Actually im sure one of the challenges could be working out the amount of energy "vented" at SGL8 :eek: :eek:

Include all the powerpacks , kettles , peoples bodyheat , dew heaters etc etc

kinda makes me glad that i will be at home on me lonesome :grin:

Heated blankets would be a better idea, I'd have thought, both in terms of effectiveness and in terms of the seeing.

Olly

Olly, that is a rather good suggestion, a tent will warm up nicely, but the moment you turn of the heat, it will cool just as quick, but an electric blanket will do a good job of keeping a sleeping person warm

The other option is heated clothing. I have a Blazewear jacket from FLO which is very nice too, thank you very much! You could doubtless run it off the mains with the right power supply. Heated clothing is very logical since you heat the bit that matters and not the entire environment. We should see more of it in my view, especially in motorcycling. My BMW had heated handlebar grips which were ridiculously effective. Why they appeared so late on in my motorcycling life I have no idea. They were a game changer.

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

More heat equals more heat shimmer there really is no way around that. I just came back from a fortnights "camping" with work and the heat shimmer was visible with the naked eye extending upto 2 meters from the tent entrance.

I have never been observing from a tent but have spent a lot of time outdoor living, if you want to keep warm without a heater spend your money on some good quality merino thermals Brynje, Icebreaker are some tried and tested brands but I'm sure they're all pretty much the same.

why would you heat a tent when the skies are clear enough for effects on seeing to matter? surely you'd be better outside with the heater off and turn it on again when you retire (presumably either when it gets light or conditions worsen? or am I missing the idea of a weekend star party? :grin: I'd never leave a heater on in an unattended tent.

Ever been in a tent with a cold, tired french redhead..

I use a switchable 1/2KW electric oil radiator - usually within the sleeping section where the double lining then locks in the heat. Usually doing this means the porch is cold, the middle section is ice free and the double lined sleeping compartment is warm. The radiator cycles so it's obviously blocking enough in.

Athat might explain why seeing was so good when I went camping two years ago. Just two tents in a field and neither with heaters. The seeing was totally fantatiistic. Had the Swan Nebula on the horizon and the view was so good I was almost seeing it in color.

I did the SSP for three years and all we had were cloudd so I dont so Star Parties anymore. I wait for a clear forecast and then go go camping for the weekend.

We have a tent heater but we only run it on a low temp inside the sleeping comartment of the tent after we turn in.

Archived