Narrowband

advice on collimating

I need some advice. I have an 8" Celestron Star Hopper with a dobsonian mount. The two fittings that attach the scope to the mount came loose. I needed to remove the primary mirror from the scope to get inside to re-tighten the screws that attach the mounts (I had done this one time previously with no problem). But this time when I went to remove the primary mirror, I mistakenly loosened all of the collimation screws. I realized my mistake, removed the correct screws, got the primary mirror off, tightend the screws that attach the scope to the dob mount, and reattached the primary mirror. But now, as you can guess, my collimation is hosed. I have never really had to deal with this before so I would like some advice. The mirror currently has six screws in the bottom, three that appear to attach the mirror to its base, and three (with springs attached) that I ASSume are for collimating. What is the best way to go about getting this fixed? Should I completely loosen the three screws with the springs and start from there? Is the alignment for collimation upside down and reversed, as it is when viewing? Also - any advice on keeping the bolts and screws tightened on the scope to the base (my original problem that caused all of this)? Thanks Bob (oh my return key appears to have quit working on my keyboard, hence the seeming stream of conscious formatting).

Archived