Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explorer Scientific Eyepieces

Selborne

I am thinking of purchasing a very wide FOV eyepiece and I have read a few reviews regarding the Explorer Scientific range of eyepieces that go from 82deg through to 120deg, does anybody have any experience of these ?

Currently I have a collection of Celestron Ultima LX 2" eyepieces which I have to say are superb, they have 70deg FOV and compared to the Plossls I used to use, they are in a completely different league, so will jumping to something like the Explorer range have the same level of improvement ??

If so, will the additional expense of a 120deg eyepiece be worth the money ??

Thoughts ??

Many thanks and happy observing !!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would imagine any improvement in views from the Ultima's will be mainly in apparant fov (82°,100° or 120°). The Ultima is a very good eyepiece so if there is any improvement optically it will be very subtle at best.

There is only 1 ES120, the 9mm. I don't think anyone in UK has managed to get their hand on one yet (along with the 25mm ES100).

I doubt you will see a significant improvement over the Ultima LX apart from AFOV especially with your C925. Small incremental improvement is possible, but don't expect the major jump from the E-lux plossl to the Ultima LX.

My Nikon SW and Vixen LVW look very similar in my C925, the differences only become apparent in my faster 3" APOs.

Hi

i use a 9mm 100fov on my Meade 8" f/10 and it is just amazing I showed the wife Saturn and all she could say was WOW that was good enough for me

So last night I ordered the 20mm 100fov on the recommendations from people that have had the chance to look through it ( thanks guys)

so in a few days I will haveit one in my hands and then I can let you know what I think of it but unless this weather improves

ps

am thinking of the 14mm 100fov now

clear skies

Hi Doug, Yes let me know what you think, thank you for the information regarding the 9mm, is it really that good ?

I have looked on the Explorer web site http://www.explorescientific.com/eyepieces/ and they now do 5 different types of the 120deg eyepieces as well, from 9mm through to 30mm (but that is a 3" wow).

I will sit tight and wait for your comments,

thanks in advance,

I think the ES's website made a mistake as well. They only ES120 announced to date is the 9mm ES120. The 25mm ES100 has barely reached the US market and 30mm ES100 hasn't been released yet. I'd be very surprised if ES introduce a 30mm ES120 at the same time as the 30mm ES100.

Had a look at the US site and yes, you are correct, when you click on the 120deg eyepieces it takes you to the 100deg eyepieces. To clarify I have sent them an e-mail to see what is available.

I will let you know what they say !

I had the following response from Lance at Explorer Scientific;

Hi, hope you are having a good day. I have checked availability of the 120 degree 9mm eyepiece ($999.99 about £620 +VAT and shipping), and we do have 4 in stock at this time. We are working on the website right now so I checked what you were talking about on the 100 degree, and found the problem. I apologize for the inconvenience but do not have a 120 degree 20 mm at this time, we do have the 100 degree 20 mm ($299.99 about £184 +VAT and shipping) and it is in stock also. We are having the website changed to match. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. If you would like, I'll leave my number and you can call for a direct order.

Thank you

Lance

866-252-3811 ext. 311

So now all explained ! plus they have updated the web site.

ES ought to give you a good discount for quality assuring their website for them !

Looks like the ES 9 / 120 will cost us around £760 then if we order direct from the USA. I guess it will be closer to £1K if and when it makes it onto one of the UK dealers inventory.

I know it is very cleaver but is 120 degrees really needed. I like the 100's very much and can see to the field stop, some can't. I understand that the wide wide view is very good when using a Dob, you can allow the object to drift across. But is this not just something being marketed just because it can be done, don't forget Al Naglers 'only show it if it is sharp', I wonder how good the extra 20% is?

I will now go out into the garden and dig a big hole about 6 feet deep.

Alan.

But is this not just something being marketed just because it can be done, don't forget Al Naglers 'only show it if it is sharp', I wonder how good the extra 20% is?

I will now go out into the garden and dig a big hole about 6 feet deep.

Alan.

I've pondered Unc Al's assertion. As neither are sold side by side in this country, it makes it a little hard to do direct VFM related comparisons, but ES do tend to be less money, so lets run with that thought:

Hypothetically; If you could have the same sharp 100deg FOV as an Ethos, but also an additional 20deg that startes to fall off a bit, for the same money (keeping the hypothetical point going) as the Ethos, would you choose it over an Ethos?

I have neither, so can't comment in objective or subjective terms. Indeed, not many people are bunced enough to afford two sets of EPs at this level to comment either, so it may always remain a point of conjecture. But one thing is certain:

It's nice to finally have a choice. :)

Russell

Russ

I agree, I find it hard to bring myself to spend TV money. I'm glad ES are available. They may or may not be quite as good as TV but I'm happy to satisfy my wide FOV need with ES. I love the 20 mm 100° and am currently selling some astro gear to fund the 14mm 100°

Barry

No Doug

Have the 20mm 100" , hankering after the 14mm and for the moment happy to keep the 11mm 82*. I have the GSO 2" x2 Barlow so could use that to get the 100* at 10mm maybe. Those big 100*ers and a Barlow are a handful!!

Barry

Damo,

Interesting the first reviewers comments said 'Great Correction' and no complaints. A few lines later he said that any improvement of another model would not have to be in the FOV but in, one of the things was 'better correction'.

I thought the killer was he said he would go out and buy the 100 Degree version..

I willnot be placing an order I am happy with the E8 & 10mm Delos. The only thing about these is I wish I had an E 10 and 8mm Delos.

Alan

Alan

I would have to agree with you, I would have no interest in a 120° eyepiece either. I enjoy the two ethos that I own for low-medium power use, but for some reason I prefer 70° eps for higher power observations.

Another thing I read a lot in hyper wide reviews is that the user finds it hard, if not impossible, to view the entire fov at once. Some even end up with eye strain trying to do so! Is that not the the whole point of a 100°/120° eyepiece? I mean, why buy a hyperwide if you are more comfortable viewing the fieldstop??

Archived