Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Maps of the Moon

Hi I am a new member and have been looking at the moon can anyone recommend a website or book which gives detailed names of the creator’s & mountain on the moon.

I have found a mountain I think on the edge of the sea of tranquillity would like to find out its name if it has one?

Thank you for any help you can give

Andy

I addition to the excellent advice given, you might just like a hard copy reference book, Peter Grego`s " the Moon and How to observe it " is a first class paperback, and almost new copies can be had s/h for £5-£6 plus postage. Used together with VMA you should find everything you want :)

John.

Hi Andy

I like this site http://www.popastro.com/moonwatch/moon_guide/observing7.php but the best recent discovery (If you have a smartphone or tablet....Better on a tablet) is an App called Moon HD.

What I really like is you can flip the view so it looks as it appears in your particular scope and also shows the current phase...Really made it much clearer for me.

HTH

Steve

Thanks to the links above, Ive just downloaded the Virtual Moon Atlas onto my desktop. I've never come across this one before believe it or not. I'm impressed. The interface looks quite antiquated but it does the job and it's free. Now downloading some of the higher resolution maps. Mobile devices are cool but you can't beat a good size desktop PC screen for things like this.

Hi Andy

I like this site http://www.popastro.com/moonwatch/moon_guide/observing7.php but the best recent discovery (If you have a smartphone or tablet....Better on a tablet) is an App called Moon HD.

What I really like is you can flip the view so it looks as it appears in your particular scope and also shows the current phase...Really made it much clearer for me.

HTH

Steve

I couldn't find an app called moon HD for android? Is it just for iOS?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

OK, thanks. It must just be a iOS app as I can't find it on Google play. I have found something called lunar map HD which looks like it might be quite good though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Archived