740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Dead DSI?

samtheeagle

I've been happily using a an original DSI Colour as my guide camera for a while now, but the other night during an imaging run I found PHD had locked up. It was late and I didn't think much of it and called it a night. But when I went out the next night I couldn't get the DSI to be detected by any software at all. It's not like it's totally dead. If I plug it in it is detected and shows up in the device manager, but any attempt to connect to the camera fails :( I've tried different cable, different USB ports, 3 different machines and I'm getting the same result...

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Presumably with this being such an old camera the chance of a repair is going to be nil... I've opened up the case and everything looks clean, with no obviously blown components or anything like that. I think I'd be happier if it was a total brick, but it almost kinda looks like it's working, except that I cannot connect to it to get images.

Here's hoping for some sage words of advice.

Sorry to hear about that - the DSI makes a great little guide camera. I can't any offer any fresh ideas I'm afraid as it sounds like you've eliminated all the other potential points of failure. Presumably you will have tried using Meade's own Envisage software, but I'd imagine if PHD doesn't work then that won't either.

Regretfully it maybe time to keep an eye out for a replacement on Astro B&S & ebay as they still regularly appear on the seondhand market.

Yes I've tried Envisage, the horrible nasty thing that it is, but no joy with that either. I fear you might be right, but for now I'm going to have to press my mono SPC900 into service... It performed admirably the other night guiding on stars around M81/M82. I'm not entirely sure which star I was on, but that region seems to have mag 5 - 7 stars, so I think that's about the limit, as they were only just picked up by the camera.

I have a serious lack of available funds right now I'm afraid :( Having children is a seriously expensive undertaking! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Or remove the camera from your computer. Including the registry and let it reinstall from scratch. I have the DSI color and pro2. Had problems with both at some point. Take out anything MEADE. Enviage and AS-S. Including the registry. Reinstall and see what happens. HTH.