Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nikon cameras for astro imaging

chiltonstar

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This and their weird NEF format (not a true RAW)

It seems Nikon prefer to sell more software than cameras with their payed app...lol

I tested both with usb remote control, Canon seems more friendly... don't ask me why... :)

That's intriguing. Why is NEF not a true raw mode?

In fairness to Nikon they do supply free of charge their ViewNX2 software which is an excellent catalogue program and raw editor as well. Much better than anything Canon offer. You can pay for their excellent Capture NX2 software, much more advanced and which includes an astro setting. Star eating is a thing of the past. Both my Nikons can turn off dark frame subtraction. They can also handle exposures longer than 30 seconds, you set this up manually of course and in the case of the D5100 it can be activated by a £10 wireless remote. It is true though that Canon cameras are better supported for astro work by third parties.

Finally! I just got my brand new Nikon D5200 and the annoying 30 sec limit in the API is gone :grin: Thank you Nikon, I hope they plan on implementing this feature in all coming cameras. This eliminates the biggest argument for buying Canons according to me. I'm sure astro software support will catch up as well now, otherwise I will code Backyard Nikon myself :)

/Patrik

Another reason, at least historically, that Nikons were not so preferred for astrophotography is that you could not achieve a "true RAW" / "Mode 3 RAW" image file. I used to use a D70 which applied a median filter to RAW images before saving them - this became known as the Nikon "star eater" and could not be disabled. It also did not support bulb mode when connected via USB! I honestly don't know whether later Nikons have the same astrophotographical issues or not..?

I've read that a lot as well. I've used both Nikon and Canon, now only use Canon because I have the feeling that I get more stars, but I never actually used both on the same night on the same object. Canon autocapture is ideal though and so is digital photo professional. For all the other stuff: DSS and Photoshop

Archived