Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Massimo Riccardi Reducer / Flattener 0.75x

Well look what the postman just delivered :D

As I'm at work and the photo booth's in my office I thought I'd send some images of my new gadget ..

I meant to buy this when I bought my APM early this year but I already had the Tele Vue TRF 2008, Markus Ludes of APM said it would work a treat with the EX428 being

that its got a small chip so I delayed (very true so thanks Markus) :) , I actually found the little 428 didn't need a flattener at all with the APM 107 combo and the F/6.5 is reasonably fast as it is. Ive now got

another 314L and its similar to the 428 in taht it also doesn't need a flattener so why did I bother? Well I am going to dabble again with OSC and I have my eyes set on a QHY8L

as my next camera, I just loved the OSC work flow although hated the Moon and poor seeing which really punishes Colour CCD's/CMOS's. :(

I really am looking forward to the f/4.87 speed :D , its going to come in handy for both the super sensitive ATIK 314 & later the large chipped QHY8 and my 40D which I will be testing it on over the next few weeks..

original.jpg

This image shows the 45mm aperture which will easily cover a DSLR chip...

original.jpg

At over half a kilo its no flyweight :)

original.jpg

Edited by Coco

Well I manges 20 x 1 minute's with the Massimo Riccardi Reducer Flattener 0.75x on the APM.. 20 minutes :(

Just a quick test as the sky was getting foggy and poor (FWHM 2.45 best tonight).. recommended distance from connecting thread to focal plane is between 71,4mm to 81mm so

I set mine at 76mm, as it turns out is not far off, whether the 40D will show more alterations we shall see. ;)

Am very happy with the results so far, the stars a certainly tighter and smaller for an ATIK 314L

I let you be the judges.. :D

original.png

original.png

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an image of the riccardi reducer on the APM, I thought I might as well post this as there has been a few Pm's and emails regarding this setup.. This is also how it sits on a 2.5" feather touch.. On the APM 107 fitted with a 3" focuser it needs to be internally mounted which means the main OTA will need shortening.. APM can do this for you.

My counter weight is a little crude but works a treat - as is the hard wood spacers under the ST80 :D

original.jpg

• 7 years later...
On 18/03/2013 at 23:54, Coco said:

Here's an image of the riccardi reducer on the APM, I thought I might as well post this as there has been a few Pm's and emails regarding this setup.. This is also how it sits on a 2.5" feather touch.. On the APM 107 fitted with a 3" focuser it needs to be internally mounted which means the main OTA will need shortening.. APM can do this for you.

My counter weight is a little crude but works a treat - as is the hard wood spacers under the ST80 :D

original.jpg

Hey,

I'm taking advantage of the COVID19 days to make a jump into Astrophotography (I was a visual freak for 5 years now).

I'm eventually aiming to create a rig similar to yours (cheers it looks amazing 🤩).

I have an APM LZOS 100/800 with a 3" ZTA focuser and an M63 riccardi reducer like yours. going to mount on a Skywacher Heq5 .

Is there a chance I will need to send my scope in to APM to have it shortened to reach focus with a rig similar to yours (Mono camera, filter wheel etc)? The focuser on my scope has 180mm of back focus I'm kinda hoping I won't need to go surgical on my OTA.

Clear skies!

Dan