Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Solar_observer

240x mag (5mm bst)

I will get it right in a minute :icon_redface: http:/astronomylogs.com/pages/moon.html

I agree with all the comments about suitable magnification to view the Moon. I also believe to get to know the Moon well you might like to try the Lunar 100 list. You will be able to view all these objects/areas through your 8" scope.

Here is a link - http://www.astrospider.com/Lunar100list.htm

Mark

I use my XW10 (203x), XF8.5 (239x), and even XW7 (290x) regularly on the moon in my C8. The view does depend on seeing, but even on mediocre nights there are moments of good seeing, so it is a good strategy to push magnification and wait for those good moments. I do not like using barlows for observing, not so much because of a reduction of quality (that is not much of a problem with good barlows), but because it is more of a hassle (remove and cap EP, uncap and insert barlow, uncap and insert EP, rather than remove and cap EP, uncap and insert EP). Barlows are cost effective, however.

I still really enjoy Luna observing, after many years of looking at our neighbour, i am nicely geared up for this with the 180 pro, 18mm ortho gives me x150 as a good starting point

Hi.

I frequently use 217x (6mm and 2x Barlow) in my 130mm reflector, and it works well, right at the limit of my scope. I cannot see why you can't at least go to 240x with your scope. However, what may stop you is seeing conditions (atmospheric turbulance). This sometimes affects my at 217x and I have to step down.

Thanks everyone else for the printable moon atlases - I have been looking for these for ages! And I did exactly the same, cursed the moon for the first 2-3 months, while trying to find faint studies, and now I can't get enough of it!

On a good night, I use 200x zoom with my 6 inch scope, and it works well for the moon, so 240x should be fine, but you may need to use less zoom for most planets