Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

240x mag (5mm bst)

Solar_observer

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks peter. Since ive had my scope ive never given the moon a second look (its just the moon, nothing exciting there). But the other night there was really nothing too see as the moon is washing all the bits im really into..... ( galaxies...nebs...comets...doubles etc). So with my new 12mm bst I thought I would give it some time....wow....the detail at 100x was breathtaking, the shadows in the craters etc. Now I want more and a want too get closer in and with more detail, I want too learn more about our closest neighbour. How could I have ever overlooked such a stunning object?......NO MORE :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

me too, I regularly use 240x with my 6" dob. the moon offers more detail and stunning resolution most nights when below about 80% iluminated. I am not sure that you see that much more detail at say 240x compared with say 150x but you do get a wonderful feeling of flying in the moon's orbit.

Shane if I were too get maybe just the 8mm which would give me more or less the same detail as the 5mm, and the 8mm would get more use too?

What is usable and most effective will vary night to night, sometimes hour to hour, with the seeing conditions. It's good to have a selection of higher magnifications so that you can step up or down to get the best results at a given moment.

If the conditions are good and your scope is cooled and in decent collimation 200x or 240x should be fine with it. The moon, Saturn and Mars seem to respond to high magnifications better than Jupiter does, I've found.

I agree with John and Calvin actually. when I had an 8mm BST it was my favourite in the 1000mm scope I had at the time giving 125x. what you might find is as suggested by Calvin, that a Barlow in your case might be a good buy with the 12mm to give 200x. if you also got the 8mm (150x) then you'd have a nice spread.

I have over time built a collection of eyepieces that give me a good range of magnifications at the top end and few eyepieces at the low end.

although I have three scopes I have 11 eyepieces:

32mm, 26mm, 15mm, 13mm, 12.5mm, 11mm, 10mm, 9mm, 8mm, 7mm and a 6-3mm zoom and I genuinely use them all regularly as the seeing varies so much with scopes of my focal length (1200mm, 1600mm and 1840mm).

Whilst were on the subject of moon observing, does anyone recommend any detailed moon maps (book form) that dont cost a fortune? £10/20.

I was also wondering exactly the same, suggestions anyone ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Whilst were on the subject of moon observing, does anyone recommend any detailed moon maps (book form) that dont cost a fortune? £10/20.

Take a look at this, I use it at the EP. http://www.astronomylogs.com/pages/moon.html download and print it yourself.

Also, I use Virtual Moon Atlas all the time, it is fantastic, great for planning the best librations! http://www.ap-i.net/avl/en/start

MN

Archived