Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello fellow Essex Cloud Dodgers!

Ras Elased

Hi Everyone,

I posted my first post yesterday on SGL welcome blog, and had a few people that sent me the way here which i'm very grateful for, was having a little read up today and you all sound like a great bunch of people :D

I have never been to a star party before or used my scope under dark skies so would be very cool to one day experience this, i live kinda near Romford and find it hard to find anywhere i can take my scope without feeling safe lol also anyone know a way i can accidentally make the lamp post next to my back garden stop working? maybe i was thinking of a air rifle.....

anyone from this kinda area know of a good spot i can take my scope and feel relaxed and enjoy really dark skies, me and my girlfriend have been planing a trip to kielder for a while but its just finding the time to drive up there. maybe when it gets a bit warmer :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey, welcome to the forum, i myself am from basildon so only down the road, i know some of the fellow cloud dodgers are from a bit close to home, but were a friendly bunch,

if you got some pics from the 400d we'd love to see them :)

all the best

Craig

lol i like the modified Patrick Moore method! now i just need to find myself an air rifle and hope i don't miss otherwise i wont have happy neighbours...

and craig your response about seeing any photos i have done with my 400D, well i have got a few moon pics, and i took some pictures using a digital canon camera which i managed to cello tape to my eyepiece as the 400D is my gf's and she was using it at the time.

here is a picture of jupiter i managed to catch, i was quite impressed with myself as it was the first time i had ever done anything like this post-2412-0-13614300-1361483693_thumb.jp

and this the Orion nebular that i managed to catch on the same digital camera the same night, my personal favourite post-2412-0-23249400-1361483719_thumb.jp

this is my first moon pic with the 400D but come out a little bit blurry, looking forward to giving it another go!! post-2412-0-17141000-1361484592_thumb.jp

lol yea i know what u mean! with this cloud at the moment i feel like i have gone cold turkey! was hoping to get out at the weekend, luckily enough i haven't bought my new ep yet otherwise it would have been torture just looking at it and looking at the overcast outside and knowing i will have to wait another week!

oh and a quick question guys, maybe a stupid question.. i have a T adapter and T ring, when i connect my 400D to my Barlow and that to the focuser is that it for magnification, or can i buy ep's to attach to the t ring for the camera or am i doing it all wrong? any advice would be great as i haven't really read much about set ups for imagining using a dslr and a skywatcher explorer.

i will get myself over to the imaging forums soon!

oh and a quick question guys, maybe a stupid question.. i have a T adapter and T ring, when i connect my 400D to my Barlow and that to the focuser is that it for magnification, or can i buy ep's to attach to the t ring for the camera or am i doing it all wrong? any advice would be great as i haven't really read much about set ups for imagining using a dslr and a skywatcher explorer.

i will get myself over to the imaging forums soon!

You can get different power barlows, 2x, 2.5x or even 5x, depending on the quality of the barlow makes a big difference to overall image quality, but its worth mentioning that a barlow will increase the length of exposure, the higher the power the longer the exposure needed.

but to answer your question Yes, that is all the magnification you get.

As knobby said you can go down the route of eyepiece projection, where you point the camera lens at the eyepiece, very good for planetary work but not so great on DSO

thanks guys, i guess thats more things added to the shopping list of what to buy! a new barlow and new ep, then i can concentrate on upgrading all my bits on my telescope, then new dslr, then a laptop and the list goes on.... :D gonna check my lottery ticket now.

thanks guys, i guess thats more things added to the shopping list of what to buy! a new barlow and new ep, then i can concentrate on upgrading all my bits on my telescope, then new dslr, then a laptop and the list goes on.... :D gonna check my lottery ticket now.

what are you most interested in photographing?

in-which case you probably wont want to use a barlow, especially a strong one as it reduces the amount of light getting to the sensor, which in turns increases the amount of time you need to expose for.

for example a 30sec exposure will turn in to a 60sec exposure with a 2x barlow.

But as Knobby said using a CCD as a guide is a great idea.

*edit

if you havnt already, you should in the astrophotography section of this site, there any many experienced people there who are a will to give advice

Hi guys...been looking at getting one of those camera holders to take some pics through the eyepiece (just the point a click type camera to be honest). Not sure if anyone has used one...really just for Lunar and planets to be honest. Was going to throw it onto the TAL(s) and see how it goes...for £35 odd quid it should not be too bad I guess...

Did order my new EP's the other day. wanted to replace some of the older ones that came with the 100R. so a new set of Baader Classic Ortho's is sitting in the EP case waiting for a clear sky....used my Ipod to try and take snaps but manually holding one is not the best....

Archived