Narrowband

I think I saw a UFO!!

spurius

I saw this really bright dot pass along the sky in the welsh valleys. It was about 6:05-6:10pm and it was crossing the sky somewhat quicker than an airplane would. It was about as bright as venus. Its very unlikely to be man made but cant possibly have been an asteroid coz it would have made the news. It didnt burn up or anything either. I know you guys will think im mad but I really think it could have been an alien spacecraft! I am absolutely baffled by what this was.

ISS

I've been using Stellarium to see when the ISS has been going overhead to attempt a photo, this it how it came out.

According to Stellarium, which is good but not perfect, it would have been going over at the time you were looking so could be what you saw.

Saw it going over my head too. Was definitely the ISS as I had an email from NASA! Sign up to spotthestation.nasa.gov and you can get notifications of every visible pass. I also check heavensabove.com for satellite passes.

Was the first time I had seen it for ages and ran in to get the wife and toddler but they were fairly unimpressed!

So it was the space station then, I thought they abandoned that. How do they get men to and from space now that the shuttle is gone?

*choke* :shocked:

That space station cost 150 billion dollars, so I don't think they'll be abandoning it any time soon! :grin:

There are 9 scheduled spacecraft docking this year alone - Russian, Japanese, European (ESA) and private (e.g. Dragon CRS SpaceX). :smiley:

Don't you just love the power of the internet!

30 years ago Spurius would have told everyone that he'd seen a UFO - Its very unlikely to be man made but cant possibly have been an asteroid coz it would have made the news. It didnt burn up or anything either. I know you guys will think im mad but I really think it could have been an alien spacecraft! - and there would have been no way of contradicting him.

These days, with a minimal amount of Googling you can find which satellite it is, what it's carrying, perhaps even who is on board and also when you can see it next and when the inhabitants will get their weekly supply of hotdogs and Beanos

Or you can just announce to the astronomy community that you've seen a UFO without checking any of this.... :p

(And yes, I know the ISS wasn't around 30 years ago! )

These days, with a minimal amount of Googling you can find which satellite it is, what it's carrying, perhaps even who is on board and also when you can see it next and when the inhabitants will get their weekly supply of hotdogs and Beanos

And at the same time you will also find out that the Moon is made of green cheese, but NASA has been gagged by cheese manufacturers world-wide to prevent the bottom falling out of the market, that the ISS astronauts have actually seen aliens landing on Earth but have had their memories altered to think that it was just an odd aurora effect and the Curiosity Mars rover is actually in a warehouse complex in Arizona.

James

To be fair by the letter to Spurius it was a UFO, and he did see one. Later many helped him to understand it was the ISS. I see some funny things in the sky here which are satelites I am sure but some go from North to South. There is one that shows up from the south, gets 10-15 degrees above the Mountains and then it's gone.

Alan.

Archived