Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M81 & M82 first light LRGB with 314L+ & ED80 - WIP

Gina

I've never used Ha as L on galaxies. I add it to red in blend mode lighten. Once it's pasted on top of the red layer it may well not show much so, while it's in place, I give it a lift in Curves to get it to contribute. This may be why you weren't getting it to do much? Just give it a bit of Cuves wellie while it's sitting on the red! Make it behave!!!

Olly

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never used Ha as L on galaxies. I add it to red in blend mode lighten. Once it's pasted on top of the red layer it may well not show much so, while it's in place, I give it a lift in Curves to get it to contribute. This may be why you weren't getting it to do much? Just give it a bit of Cuves wellie while it's sitting on the red! Make it behave!!!

Olly

Thank you for the advice Olly, much appreciated :) I'll do that. I managed to garb a couple of hours more Ha last night so I'll add last night's subs - 6 x 20m - to the previous ones, restack and use the result.

Well I stacked all the decent Ha frames - 14 altogether - stretched in PS and aligned with all the rest in RegiStar then L R G B Ha image files opened in PS. At first I couldn't get the Ha to add to the red channel then I tried another tack - converted the Ha greyscale to RGB colour. Then in the Channels removed the green and toned down the blue (left a bit to represent Hb). Saved that. Then back to the main colour M81/82, saved a backup then flattened the image (RGB layer and Luminosity layer) and added the Ha as a new layer in Lighten mode. That worked :) Went into curves in the Ha layer and stretched if a lot more to improve the Ha. Backed that up and then flattened, cropped off the margins and saved as PNG.

Here it is...

post-13131-0-91015200-1362082248_thumb.p

Amazing - I love that red nebulosity in the outer spiral arms. :)

Steve

Thank you Steve :) Yes I think the addition of Ha really makes it :)

Crikey Gina. You had some clear skies down there?

Lovely image - makes me want to save harder for a new camera.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Thank you Tom :) Yes, just the odd hour or two now and again :D There's three nights imaging gone into that - with a good clear night I'd have done it it one. We were forecast a few hours last night but the clouds remained in place :( Looks like tonight is now looking dodgy too :( And yes, the camera is delightful :)

Archived