SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M81 & M82 first light LRGB with 314L+ & ED80 - WIP

Gina

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats coming on nicely GIna, some lovely detail coming out in the cigar, I also like it orientated that way with Bodes at the bottom:)

Thank you Chris :) Yes, I agree - it does look better with Bodes at the bottom, I agree. Looking clear tonight - if it lasts, so hoping to grab some more L subs and also get some Ha to add to it. Though smaller, the Cigar is coming out rether nicer looking. I'm feeling quite pleased - particularly after waiting so long to get anything at all!

Keep up the good work whilst the cloud gods let you Gina:), they mustn't like me because I've not seen the sun or stars in quite a while now:(

Taking more luminance subs at this very moment. Want to check that I've got the framing just the same because it's very tight with these two.

Grabbed more L subs and this is the luminance resulting from stacking 51 lights with 66 flats. I've now gone over to Ha and taking 10m subs. I'll see how this is and see if 15m would be better.

Here's the Luminance image

post-13131-0-33536900-1361481649_thumb.p

10m Ha subs are producing a maximum ADU of around 5000 so well down on the limit. I could go to 100m and still not overload the camera sensor but I wouldn't get many of those :D I'm currently taking a 15m sub and have turned it up to 20m (1200s) for the next one. I ended up with 56 L frames of 3m each.

Looks like tonight's imaging is at an end - it's clouded up now :( Still I've had nearly 3 hours so that's not too bad :) Looks like an early night :D

Times to date :- L 56 subs of 3m, RGB 14 subs each of 2m bin 2x2, Ha various inc. 2x10m, 15m and 20m bin 1x1. Now to combine them.

At last I've reprocessed all this data. 56 subs luminance of 180s 3m bin 1x1 + 14 subs each RGB of 120s 2m bin 2x2 + 8 subs of various length adding up to about an hour bin 1x1. Ha added 70% red and 25% blue. Not sure if I've done everything right but here's the result :-

post-13131-0-00201700-1361551837_thumb.p

This was the processing I used :-

1. Stack Red subs in DSS and stretch a bit in PS - save in Align folder
  2. Stack Green subs in DSS and stretch a bit in PS - save in Align folder
  3. Stack Blue subs in DSS and stretch a bit in PS - save in Align folder
  4. Stack Lum subs in DSS and stretch histogram and sharpen in PS - save in Align folder
  5. Stack Ha subs in DSS and stretch histogram and sharpen in PS - save in Align folder
  6. Run Registar, select Lum for reference image and register all the others to it.
  7. Shift and pad registered images in RegiStar and save all into new folder
  8. Gaussian Blur Red, Green and Blue images
  9. Take Red image as base and add Ha as normal layer - set opacity to 70% - flatten and save
  10. Take Blue image as base and add Ha as normal layer - set opacity to 25% - flatten and save
  11. Take new Red as base and changs Mode to RGB
  12. Select all in Green image and replace Green channel in colour image
  13. Select all in Blue image and replace Blue channel in colour image
  14. Adjust various stuff in PS to improve final image and save.

Nicely done, a great set up, I have an ED80, superb little scope

Thank you Peter :) Yes the ED80 is great and I didn't need any focus change through L R G B Ha all filters parfocal even though LRGB are Baader and Ha id Astrodon.

Nice Gina, Your best one yet with the new gear,

nicley composed and processed.

Paul.

Thank you Paul :) I think it could do with more Ha but I pretty happy with it so far :)

That's really impressive, especially the level of structure showing in the Cigar. Remarkable.

Just a few thoughts; I find the background sky a little dark and clipped looking. Nice and flat though. It took me years to make myself leave a higher sky value!

You do have some dark rings around stars against the spiral. Usually this comes from deconvolution or sharpening, so it might be worth excluding the stars while applying these routines, or apply them as a layer and erase the affected stars that way.

There's a simple 'fix' though. Set Clone Stamp to 'lighten,' take a sample of the nebulosity near the dark-ringed star and then just clone stamp over the star and ring. The star itself won't be affected, just the dark ring. (Thanks to Nik Szymanek for that one.)

You're on a roll, Gina. (Must be that roof...)

Olly

That's really impressive, especially the level of structure showing in the Cigar. Remarkable.

Just a few thoughts; I find the background sky a little dark and clipped looking. Nice and flat though. It took me years to make myself leave a higher sky value!

You do have some dark rings around stars against the spiral. Usually this comes from deconvolution or sharpening, so it might be worth excluding the stars while applying these routines, or apply them as a layer and erase the affected stars that way.

There's a simple 'fix' though. Set Clone Stamp to 'lighten,' take a sample of the nebulosity near the dark-ringed star and then just clone stamp over the star and ring. The star itself won't be affected, just the dark ring. (Thanks to Nik Szymanek for that one.)

You're on a roll, Gina. (Must be that roof...)

Olly

Than you Olly :) Praise indeed from an expert :) I've had a go at it as you have suggested. The Clone Stamp didn't seem too effective but it's a bit better - I applied it several times to each star. Anyway, here's the the result :-

post-13131-0-66988500-1361564590_thumb.p

Archived