Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ-4 'tuning'

Teal Rain

Morning all,

I have recently acquired an AZ-4 mount. I was wondering if there is any merit in polishing the metal bearing surface on the altitude axis that the telfon disc runs on. I've done a couple of CG-5s before as per Astro-Boy's instructions and they made quite a difference in the motions.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

M

I find the motions on my AZ-4 fine without modification. The tension adjustment seems to work and I find I need it as my eyepieces range from a a few oz in weight to a couple of pounds !

While you want the motions smooth you also want enough resistance to hold the scope in position without having to re-balance it each time you change an eyepiece. I find the mount does that well enough without tuning.

I use a Vixen ED102SS on mine and occasionally an ED120.

Thanks John. I think I'll just give it a good clean and re-grease. I've noticed there's a sort of 'notch' as the dovetail axis goes past the vertical. There's nothing I can see on the bearings so I'm assuming it's a function of the sprung tension washer used? Any thoughts?

It didn't have a very good debut - my lunt prism slipped round in the FS-78 compression ring and tipped my 18mm BGO on to the garden slabs! much swearing was heard by all in ear shot. My fault though for not tightening it enough!

I've noticed that "Notch" too but I can't put my finger on what is causing it. It does not seem to cause any problems though.

I hope the BGO 18mm escaped unscathed - they are collectors pieces now you know !

I do envy you your Tak's by the way, especially the FS 102 :smiley:

I have a penchant for fiddling and fettling things to try to make them a little sweeter and smoother, but the AZ4 is one item i am more than happy with, its now my most used mount and love it

Glad to hear it....I decided to get an AZ-4 for my TAL, rather than a SkyTee 2, and it's on the way from FLO :)

Archived