SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heq5 Syntrek with Sky Safari/Skywire for Goto/guiding?

Notty

Hi, I was wondering if anyone used this setup, if indeed its possible? The Southern Stars website mentions the Heq5 with Synscan, but not the Syntrek. I did email them but heard nothing back.

My main reason for asking is I'd like to use my ipad outside rather than a laptop (cumbersome, power cables, etc).

thanks for any help.

Thanks Peter, so I have to have the synscan handset even though I wouldn't need it? So for guiding a syntrek without a Synscan handset I'm really stuck with the PC/ Eqmod setup is that correct? That's a real shame.

Thanks So for guiding a syntrek without a Synscan handset I'm really stuck with the PC/ Eqmod setup is that correct? That's a real shame.

SkySafari's support for the Heq5 is achieved using a very much reduced NexStar protocol to the handset which communicates to the mount at a much lower, non astronomical, level. SkySafari could write their own driver for this low level protocol but in order to exert any astronomical control they would have to also take responsibility for providing mount alignment, tracking, pec, limits, and all the other features that the handset and/or EQMOD currently provide - that isn't really what SkySafari is about and I doubt they will go that route

Chris.

• 1 year later...

SkySafari's support for the Heq5 is achieved using a very much reduced NexStar protocol to the handset which communicates to the mount at a much lower, non astronomical, level. SkySafari could write their own driver for this low level protocol but in order to exert any astronomical control they would have to also take responsibility for providing mount alignment, tracking, pec, limits, and all the other features that the handset and/or EQMOD currently provide - that isn't really what SkySafari is about and I doubt they will go that route

Chris.

Well Chris, I believe this might have changed since "SkyPortal" (a repackaged SkySafari 4 for Celestron Evolution scopes) provides those exact functionalities (and more). The way I understand it, it's the SynScan handset which has a 'reduced' NexStar protocol implementation...but I could be wrong, I am still looking around trying to figure out why no one would have written a "more complete" implementation of the NexStar protocol (or some NexStar to EQMOD translator)... But don't shoot me, I am fresh off the press in all of this and am quite eager to get my new scope+mount...

Yes, sky safari talks to these mounts via a reduced subset of the nexstar protocol because that is all they support. If you want to control the mount via the synscan. If you bypass the synscan and talk direct to the mount you can get much more control, but your driver would then have to assume the responsibility for controlling the mount at a stepper motor level rather than an astronomical level.

Chris

Archived