Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie today...!!!

Appleblossom

Hi all...

I have joined today, as I was looking on the net & somewhere it mentioned to find out where your local astronomers club was & I found you guys! I come from Four Oaks & my name is Sarah. I have been interested in astronomy for years but never really got anywhere with it, I am going to the Leicester Space Centre tomorrow as a day out with my husband & our daughter. I have sold my telescope last year as I have nowhere to store it & treated myself to some binoculars last month but am somewhat confused as I did a bit of research before I did & used them for the first time last night, got a beautiful view of the moon but could not see any definition on Jupiter & am now a little confused as I believe that the strength of bins I had bought would do the job...?!!! :embarassed: I have Sakura 10x-90x80 zoom. What size bins do I need? Unfortunately I am on a budget... aren't we all...?!!!

Hi, Sarah, and welcome to SGL!

I'm not familiar with using binoculars for observing, but there is a specific discussion tab for those using binoculars - look under the 'Equipment' heading on the main page. I'm sure you will find lots of help and advice there.

Martin

Hi Sarah & welcome to SGL.

You will enjoy the Space Centre, if they still have the rocket launch ride there it DOES shake any loose things out of your pockets! Have a laugh at the people who don't secure their loose change etc. & end up picking it off the floor.

You don't state how much your budget is for your binoculars, but better quality optics are always worth the extra money. I have not used zoom binoculars so I can't comment on them, though generally less to fiddle about with means more time looking at what you want to see.

I use Opticron Verano 8 x 42 for stargazing & wildlife. Nikon ED50 spotting scope to see a bit further, can see Jupiters moons with it.

Hi Sarah welcome to SGL, cant really comment on the make but im sure ive read somewhere that zoom binoculers are not very good for Astronomy or it might of been in a budget pair as the optics are compromised to keep the cost down.

im sure someone will be along soon who can help you and even put me right if im well off the mark.

Hello Sarah and a very warm welcome to SGL

Zoom bins are not recommended for Astro work, 10 x 50 or 15 x 70's are the norm for Astro work, any bigger / more magnification and a tripod / mount will be required.

post your question in the equipment Binocular section or the beginners equipment section and you will get plenty of options.

HTH

Enjoy the forum

Hi Sarah and welcome to SGL. Agree with Rich that 10x50 binoculars are the norm for astro observing. I've had a Russian made pair for years which are good for observing the moon and getting to know the night sky. I've also been able to make out some of the Jovian moons, but they were never any good for detailed planetary seeing. Enjoy your day out at the Space Centre. All the best, Bob :laugh:

Thank you all for your warm welcomes & MANY chats...!!!

Went to the Space Centre & the high for me had to be the simulator where we travelled & landed on Europa, fantastic...

Just off to watch 'Meet the Izzards' but will talk soon!

Sorry I type like I talk :tongue:

Archived