Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Refractor or reflector?

It's been a while since I looked at the differences between reflectors and refractors but I believe reflectors are best for dso's and refractors for planetary.

I was wondering if this is correct and if so why?

Is it just a case of money, as cheaper refractors are good enough for planetary and reflectors are more worth for your money for better quality dso's?

Or is glass just better, full stop, for inter planetary objects?

If refractors are better for interplanetary, I was looking at doing observing, planetary photography and maybe dso's with a dslr and a refractor. Is this too much to ask for? Or should I choose a refractor to be more dedicated to either subject?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

For planetary imaging I believe a long focal length and a web cam is the easy option.

For DSO imaging a fast f/ratio is desired, along with either a DSLR or a CCD camera. Fracs are probably easier to image with, not to say they're better though. A big, heavy, accurate EQ mount is mandatory.

For observing planets I would probably go with a 8" or 10" Cat, or a 7" Mak.

For observing DSO,s a small RFT (rich field telescope) type unimportant, and a large Dob are my pick.

No telescope is best at everything. That's why most start a collection :evil6:

Archived