Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

rodrigol

Mount for SWED80

I'm currently using a MANFROTTO 410 JUNIOR GEARED HEAD and a Giotto's MTL8251B, which are fine up to when using a 9mm EP. Vibrations settle down in about 3 seconds quote nicely. However, tracking is an issue if I want to take shots of something like to the moon or jupiter and it's moons. So, i'm looking for some advice regarding mounts for this kind of scope. :-)

If you'd like to stay alt-az (fine for planetary and lunar imaging, I think) then there are the iOptron mounts. If you want to go equatorial for DS then the HEQ5.

Olly

Olly,

Many thanks for your reply. I can't hide how jealous I am of your telescopes and the location in Les Granges!

I guess at some point in the near future I will go for the HEQ5 :-)

R.

I totally agree with Olly, iOptron mounts are simply superb and offer great value for money. The HEQ5 would be my choice for the ED80, especially the Pro Synscan as it will open up a whole new world of astronomy for you - astrophotography. Some great photos have been taken with the ED80 + HEQ5 and a DSLR.

Have a look a bit more on these forums and you'll see quite a few people have gone down the ED80 + HEQ5 route. I for one took everyone's advice :grin:

Check out the user galleries for examples of the type of photos you can take with the kit. I have a few examples using just the ED80, HEQ5, tracking, and a Canon 1000D. I haven't gone down the guiding route yet.

To give you an idea of what that set up is capable of, have a look at this;23w0f8h.jpg

ED80 with HEQ5 and a Nikon D70

• Like 1

long way to go to achive such a picture...

...i´ve gone the neq-6 way for later updates, hoping to get there...

All this advice and proof is very much appreciated. I will review the ioptron mounts to see if a compromise can be reached with my other half or if it pays to go for the HEQ5 in one go . I suspect some of you have permanent piers and don't have to worry about huffing and puffing before and after a session - that being one reason why the CPC is getting little use at the moment. Maybe if I can get Xmas to come earlier...and combine my birthday :tongue:

long way to go to achive such a picture...

...i´ve gone the neq-6 way for later updates, hoping to get there...

Agreed that photo is a long way to go. But it does show what the set up is capable of. As with all facets of trial and error, I am sure I will get to that quality of photo one day!! :grin:

thats the difference between a pro and a newb =;O)

...like in every every profession...

a pro, even with "not overpowered" equipment can achive good results...

• Like 1

I'm currently using a MANFROTTO 410 JUNIOR GEARED HEAD and a Giotto's MTL8251B, which are fine up to when using a 9mm EP. Vibrations settle down in about 3 seconds quote nicely. However, tracking is an issue if I want to take shots of something like to the moon or jupiter and it's moons. So, i'm looking for some advice regarding mounts for this kind of scope. :-)

As you have your CPC800 on the Pro Wedge, why not look into piggy back mounting the ED80 on top? With the wedge you can set it up for EQ tracking and maybe use the CPC800 as a guidscope with the ED80 used for wide field imaging with a DSLR. You could get the mounting hardware (plate, rings) a good guide scope and a modded Canon D1100 for roughly the same amount as the HEQ5 mount.

I'm looking for options and you are right the CPC w/ wedge could become the platform to use (after all, I've already got them). My only issue here is weight. I'm also looking at which plates and rings I need. I've got ADM SCT counterweight under the CPC OTA so I'm kind of some way there. As for DSLR, I use a nikon D300 and D7000. The D7000 is not too heavy and can deal with very high ISO quite well. It's the weight of the whole thing that scares me.

Before I bought the HEQ5 I mounted my ED80 on top of my CPC800 using Celestrons 125mm Guidescope rings and the 8 inch dovetail bar. I used the Synscan Autoguider with either my D3200 on the CPC800. Weight wasnt a problem, but I wouldnt have gone any higher. Thing is my CPC800 is pier and not tripod mounted. Maybe the vibration suppression pads would be worth looking into as they really do work.

• Like 1

Rodrigol. I might be able to help you out a little next month if you want to try your ED80 on a mount, will message you

I use a EQ-5 goto mount on my Lunt 80mm ED APO, and works really well! However I would say the HEQ-5 mount is the one to go for without a doubt! Nobody as really complained about this mount more than the EQ-5 as??