SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Black Holes, Quasars and Galaxies

Ant - The chicken or the egg didn't come first - they both evolved from a more earlier form of the species

So where did the egg come from? If the egg came first, what laid it? The answer is neither - they BOTH evolved from a more ancient form of animal. Sorry, couldn't resist :grin: By the way, can you now see what you're saying with those glasses? Just kidding...or am I :shocked:

I was just saying that the egg came before the chicken, not that there wasn't another creature before that.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jim Franklin

An example of what I consider to be confusion and nitpicking is your digression into the physics of accretion discs. I simply said that angular momentum needs to be shed, but said nothing about the mechanism of how it is lost. Your post didn't address the thrust of mine, that there is a plausible energy source for Quasars. If you like, I'm talking about the battery, and you start talking about the transmitter. You've added some useful information to the thread, but in a rather messy manner, making it difficult - I imagine - for other readers to follow. I think this thread has gone past the point of serving any useful purpose.

Discussing Black holes as sources for Quasars without discussing the accretion disc as the actual source of the energy is the equivalent of discussing a land speed record and ignoring the engine/powerplant to drive the damn thing!! The problem with short posts on complicated subjects is that they seem to end up messy as a matter of course.

Incidentally, I read physics as an undergraduate, but I work in a different field and my knowledge and experience is far short of an actual physicist. In particular, my maths skills have atrophied, and they were never great to begin with.

I can concur with the maths comment, i was never some maths guru, and with electronic aids/computers in my adult life for efficiency they have truly bombed...sadley I think they are still better for our generation than the overwhelming majority of those leaving school these days!!

Archived