Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New member in Hertfordshire

benvz

Hi,

My name's Ben - I bought myself a scope for Christmas and have spent the last month and a half watching the skies :bino2:, mainly with frustration due to the :clouds1:. I live in the Hemel/St Albans area and was wondering if there was anyone else near me who would fancy meeting up to observe. Someone who knows a thing or two and is willing to share their hard-won knowledge (perhaps over a pint when the clouds roll in) would be great, but I'm sure it'd be just as fun to stargaze with another complete novice like myself.

I've seen some posts about Wrest Park, which looks good, but is towards the upper limit of ideal distance for me, as it's a 40-minute drive away. I live about 25 mins away from Ashridge Estate (though not sure about the feasability of using this as an observing spot). I realise I'm being a bit fussy here :blush:, but everyone prefers not to have to go too far. I am investigating a few spots nearer to home for me - but I think round Ashridge and the Ivinghoe Beacon is probably the best place.

Hi,

My name's Ben - I bought myself a scope for Christmas and have spent the last month and a half watching the skies :bino2:, mainly with frustration due to the :clouds1:. I live in the Hemel/St Albans area and was wondering if there was anyone else near me who would fancy meeting up to observe. Someone who knows a thing or two and is willing to share their hard-won knowledge (perhaps over a pint when the clouds roll in) would be great, but I'm sure it'd be just as fun to stargaze with another complete novice like myself.

I've seen some posts about Wrest Park, which looks good, but is towards the upper limit of ideal distance for me, as it's a 40-minute drive away. I live about 25 mins away from Ashridge Estate (though not sure about the feasability of using this as an observing spot). I realise I'm being a bit fussy here :blush:, but everyone prefers not to have to go too far. I am investigating a few spots nearer to home for me - but I think round Ashridge and the Ivinghoe Beacon is probably the best place.

Hi Ben

Yeah 40 mins is a bit of a trek for you...not sure I would want to go all that way only for the clouds to roll in and spoil the trip. Let us know how you get on locating somewhere near you......I used to libe out Dunstable way so would consider driving over there if you found some where good.

Hi Ben

There are some really large 'fields' (part of the Ashridge estate grounds) next to the B4506 that I usually wonder about as I drive past on the way to the car park but I'm not sure of the 'security situation' at night as they are open to the road. They do go far enough back to get you out of sight of casual motorists but you'd have to leave the car by the road.

carl

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome aboard I'm down the bottom of the county near Waltham Cross. A few of us have discussed having a meet in the local area but so far no good sites have been found.

What scope do you have?

Thanks. I've got a Skywatcher 130p650 Autotrak. Seemed like a reasonable entry-level scope that'll keep me happy for a while.

• 5 months later...

Archived