SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Poll - What is the most popular size for SCT?

SCT survey  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What's your SCT

• Celestron C5
    • Celestron C6
    • Celestron C8
    • Celestron C925
    • Celestron C11
    • Celestron C14
    • Meade 6
    • Meade 8
    • Meade 10
    • Meade 12
    • Meade 14
    • Meade 16
    • Others

Once upon a time C8 used to be the most popular SCT and everyone's dream scope, but nowadays I noticed there is a significant number people in the C925 club. C6 also seems to be a very popular and I have a feeling I've seen more topics about the C925 and the C6 than topics about the C8. I wonder if 8" is still the most popular SCT or whether it has been over taken by its brothers.

If you have a EdgeHD or a ACF, please vote for the corresponding SCT.

If you have an exotic SCT (e.g 20" Meade or a Criterion/Bausch & Lomb), please vote in others

We will forget Mak and other CATs for now (the Skymax 127 will almost certainly win that one hands down).

To start the poll, I've got a C925 and C6.

I'd say the 9.25 seems a popular choice and probably the only reason it's not more popular is price.

I intend to buy a C11 later this year, non edge, but I would still say the 9.25 is more popular. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

I like 6, 8 and 11 inch SCTs but I've voted 11 as I hope that, eventually, I will get some images out of the C11 of DSO's, planets and the moon that wouldn't be possible with my refractors. But it's a wind magnet, and without an obsy, and with the longer cool down time, I'm limited on when I can use it!

In a way, the 6 inch is the sweetest, giving some great views for such a compact scope, especially under dark skies. We got it mainly to get the mount that came with it, but after using the C6 for a while, I liked it more than the mount! :-)

I voted for the celestron 8 (SE in my case). I guess the results already go some way to answering Keith's original question. The 8" seems a firm favourite still. Seems odd that no Meades yet ; I've seen a fair amount at star parties etc. - I imagine this may be why they are apparently in some financial difficulties!

Indeed. 24 Celestrons and not a single Meade. They may not be as popular as Celestron, but I expected to see at least a few 8" LX90.

I totally agree, the LX90 was a great scope. Though I think consumer confidence in Meade is at an all time low with the reports of their financial issues.

The 6 and the 925 for me.

I wonder if one of the reasons the 925 has gained in popularity over the 8 is because the 6 seems like a popular first scope size and when upgrading the 8 isn't quite enough of a step up? I know that was the reason I didn't go from the 6 to the 8, and the 11 was too much of a leap for me. The 925, as goldilocks woulds say, was just the right size :)

As for Meade - thinking about it, I didn't even look at them as an option for my upgrade scope, maybe a bit of brand loyalty to Celestron plus FLO not stocking them didn't help their cause.

The 6 and the 925 for me.

I wonder if one of the reasons the 925 has gained in popularity over the 8 is because the 6 seems like a popular first scope size and when upgrading the 8 isn't quite enough of a step up? I know that was the reason I didn't go from the 6 to the 8, and the 11 was too much of a leap for me. The 925, as goldilocks woulds say, was just the right size :)

As for Meade - thinking about it, I didn't even look at them as an option for my upgrade scope, maybe a bit of brand loyalty to Celestron plus FLO not stocking them didn't help their cause.

Sounds reasonable to me. I chose a C925 over the C8 when I 'upgraded' from my C6 for the reason you stated. Also my mount can handle a C925 but not a C11.

I can understand why you didn't consider a Meade when you upgraded. Meade scope are always sold with the fork mount and without dovetails. It would not make sense to buy a Meade, de-fork it, then drill some holes in the OTA in order to install a dovetail and in the process voiding the warranty, when you can just buy a Vixen//Losmandy ready Celestron OTA for less.

6-8" seem like a optimal range where the best of all worlds come together - regardless design or brand. Personally I do find 8" a bit too bulky for my likings. If I had to sell all my instruments and start over from scratch, I'd opt for a 6" SCT - suits me best as long as I don't have a permanent site. Only thing I dislike about Celestron Nexstar is the display on the handcontroll, which is impossible to read when it's sub zero. The cord in the middle makes it hard to attach hand warmers as well. My LX200 Classic handset is much better. A 6" LX200 Classic, if there were any, would be to die for :-)

I bought my 10" LX200 about 5 years ago, I had an old 8" LX10 before which was fine. I started to build an obsy when the 10" came up at a pretty good price, some decent upgrades and accessories making a very good system for under a grand.

However if I was to start all over again with the gained knowledge I'd have an EQ6 for flexibility.

No votes for Meade yet? Thats very surprising.

I've just recorded that I've got one but don't put me down as a great SCT fan and certainly not a Meade fan! I've not 'voted' for it in that sense!! Portable, yes, very. Optically very good but not excellent. Focal length too long for my taste in observing, that's all.

Olly

I've just recorded that I've got one but don't put me down as a great SCT fan and certainly not a Meade fan! I've not 'voted' for it in that sense!! Portable, yes, very. Optically very good but not excellent. Focal length too long for my taste in observing, that's all.

Olly

I have and adore my CPC800, I love it because its great on the portability side. When I go to StarParties and astronomy camping trips, its the first in the boot of the car. For that very reason I love it. From the optical side, I prefer my dob for viewing and APO refractors for photography. Ive never owned any Meade equipment. Used yes, but never owned. I was at one stage considering a 14" LX200 to be mounted in an observatory, but after consideration, trial and testing, public opinions etc I think come summer time the project will call for something else.

Archived