SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

GM1000HPS - Unboxing

perfrej

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, that would not be a side-by-side.

The EdgeHD 8" weighs around 7 kgs so you're looking at 10 kgs total telescope weight. The EdgeHD needs new Losmandy bars as the supplied one is Rubbish and you need two. Flexure in that part will not be a big issue. The mirror flop of the EdgeHD is going to make model building close to impossible, so you'll build the moel with the refractor.

Your refractor needs a solid focuser!

Add to this 5 kgs of cameras and details. You need a mount that can image properly with 15-17 kgs of stuff.

My take ;)

/per

Luckily, my frac has a solid 3" focuser that you could hang a house off, and is motorized, so no worries about any slop or movement with that. I dont really need a model for the Edge HD 8" as it will just be used for planetary work. When my gear comes out of storage in june i'll weigh everything, and see what total i come up with for all the camera's etc.

Rich.

To say, it will be reviewed in french periodic "l'astronomie" by two AP users in march, they did use a meade 254 and a brc 250 on it.

One of the tester was so found of the mount that he ordered a 10µ just after the test... So it seems a predictible success for this mount, beside its cost...

No doubt that after the review, 10µ will gain more customers.

I will test it seriously and give you feedback, maybe on this thread if Per agree.

just a query from a female, can you tell how heavy the mount is compared to the NEQ6?? I am considering this and have no problems hefting an NEQ6 with the tripod legs attached, but am

worried about the weight of this one?

Thanks

Velvet

I'm interested in an answer to this as well

Steve

The rickety old ninety-eight is a great scope! Being a reasonably short and mechanically very stable product, I'd say it's a very good match.

My experience tells me that stability and absense of flex are the two most important parameters when building a sky model, and the 98 should fulfill that requirement. Just make sure that the focuser is truly tight.

/p

Thanks for that. I would agree that the mount would appear to be able to look after itself, the rest is down to flexure and a potential new source has just been revealed to me that I must investigate further - the moveable lens cell in the William Optics FR IV.

Steve, if you want to come and play with my mount you are more than welcome, just shout :)

I am imaging at 1970mm or so, with an SCT. Nebulosity puts a series of circles on the centre of the screen, a bullseye. Even with the model made by the SCT the 10 Micron mount always puts the target within the circles, and often it is dead centre of the screen.

As for unguided imaging, although I am not that bothered by it, as I plan on long exposures for most things, I did a test the other night to see how long it could go without shifting.

The handset has a rather nifty feature whereby you can speed up or slow the tracking by fractional amounts, and I found the optimal setting for mine with a star in Orion, ie, moving pretty quickly through the sky.

I had one 5 minute exposure unguided with no sign or trace of any shifting, so I ran a 10 minute one, but just after half of it the clouds rolled in, so I didn't get the result.

The documentation makes mention of an "A PEC" routine, which you can use in conjunction with dual axis tracking to get the best from unguided work, but I cannot find any other reference to the PEC routine anywhere in the handset or manual.

Steve, if you want to come and play with my mount you are more than welcome, just shout :)

I am imaging at 1970mm or so, with an SCT. Nebulosity puts a series of circles on the centre of the screen, a bullseye. Even with the model made by the SCT the 10 Micron mount always puts the target within the circles, and often it is dead centre of the screen.

As for unguided imaging, although I am not that bothered by it, as I plan on long exposures for most things, I did a test the other night to see how long it could go without shifting.

The handset has a rather nifty feature whereby you can speed up or slow the tracking by fractional amounts, and I found the optimal setting for mine with a star in Orion, ie, moving pretty quickly through the sky.

I had one 5 minute exposure unguided with no sign or trace of any shifting, so I ran a 10 minute one, but just after half of it the clouds rolled in, so I didn't get the result.

The documentation makes mention of an "A PEC" routine, which you can use in conjunction with dual axis tracking to get the best from unguided work, but I cannot find any other reference to the PEC routine anywhere in the handset or manual.

Thanks Tim

I'll be round at SGL8

did you notice my post in the inverter thread? :grin: :grin:

Steve

I am undecided about taking the mount to SGL 8, If it has to go in the car in its box, then I wont be able to fit other stuff in :s I still have to make or adapt a triod for it too, although I think I can probably fix it to my EQ6 legs ;)

The GM mounts don't have PEC. Instead, the base parameters of the mount, calibrated at the factory, along with the sky model you build are used to track both axis. You can turn this feature off if you want to drift align and then just track Ra.

With the base calibration, a PEC-like situation exists, and I guess that is what they're referring to.

/per

Archived