Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon D5100 help needed please.

Jon Sales

Hi all,

Just taken delivery of a new Nikon D5100 and need a bit of help choosing a new lens for Astrophotography.

I now live in Cyprus and the skies here are very clear 90% of the year.

I have the T ring and mounts for my SW 127 Mak and know how to photograph the moon etc through it.

I want a new prime lens for landscape panoramas and I'm looking at the following 2 lenses -

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-nikon-50mm-f1-8-g-af-s-lens/p1525420

OR

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/nikon-af-s-35mm-f1/NzU4NQ_A_A

Has anyone here had any experience with either of these lenses?

Both are fast lenses ideal for Astrophotography but I don't want to order one to find that it's no good at 20-30 sec shots of the night sky at f1.8 as this type of thing is very expensive to buy here.

Cheers,

Jon.

I would imagine both would serve you well for astro, both are superb prime lenses. Although I have not dipped my toes into AP just yet I have the 35mm in use on a D5100 and it is a superb walk around lens. Wide open however expect to see some CA under certain ( bright back lit situations ) so not an issue for astro I guess. The 50 AF is equally as good but why not save some money and get the 50 D version? £109 brand new even less on auction sites. If it is just for astro then you will not need autofocus as the D version will not AF on a D5100 as the camera does not have the screw driven mount. I have the D version and can vouch for its sharpness as well as being my first choice portrait lens.

If I had to choose between the two it would be the 35 for the versatility of astro work and day work. It is a dream to use on a D5100, as I said though if it is just for astro go for the 50 D

Thanks guys, I'll see which one I can get cheapest over here.

Either that or get my parents to bring one out in April when they visit.

Just been out with the camera on the scope and taken some nice shots of the moon at prime focus.

I currently have the 18-55mm f3.5 lens and the 55-200mm f4.5 lens at the moment. Might play around with the iso settings as the camera can go up to 25600 in Hi-2 mode apparently. Picture next to this setting shows a night sky with stars so may give the 18-55mm an outing and try this setting one night in the week here.

I'll let you know the results.

Archived