SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A New Bumbling Amateur!

Notty

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I've contacted my supplier about the bolts but to be honest from what I've read here and been told since I may have been badly advised by them on which mount to get. Ive not heard one Voice saying an EQ5 would pass muster for AP. I've asked them to take this one back and upgrade me to an HEQ5 Syntrek. I hope they oblige!

Hi Andy!

I just got my HEQ5 the otherday and I totally understand you as I have three small kids myself. If I get 30 minutes by myself one evening I consider myself lucky. The manual is horrible and I sat with the mount for two hours yesterday and I couldn't figure out how to change the altutude of it nor how to use the alt and az-bolts (though I haven't bent them yet). I also came to the conclusion that the RA lever doesn't do anything at all. I assume there is nothing wrong with the mount but I just can't figure out what that lever does and how to ue the bolts. I will follow this thread now and see if anyone has any interesting suggestions.

//Magnus

Hi Magnus, what I did learn was that you can change the alt manually with the head off the mount and the bolts out by physically moving the head, but its very factory stiff. I think you then use the bolts for fine adjustment, loosening one before tightening the other. It is best to do all this without the payload on the mount.

i am less than impressed with Skywatcher from my experience to date! Bendy cheap bolts and poor quality generic manuals. Where else are they cutting corners?

Archived