SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Syntrek Handset LED Flashing Problem...

quantumpanda

Dear Stargazers Community,

Due to a series of unfortunate circumstances, my HEQ5 was stuck in a wet/damp garage for a lengthy period. Today I was able to salvage it. Initially I had some issues getting the motors going, but I was able to do it - despite the mount being very wet - with water actually in the power port.

After a while it stopped tracking, and emitted a constant whine. I noticed the Syntrek handset was flashing - ALL keys. Nothing I pressed did anything. The LED on the actual mount was consistent. After a series of removing and reinserting the power/handset I was able to get it working again. Shortly after it failed again. This time I could not get it to work.

I brought the head inside and dismantled it to see inside. The compartment with the board in looked dry, so I removed the front port panel and checked there. A small amount of water, which I dried. I put the whole thing back together to no effect.

I left it for about 5 minutes, then retried and now it works again. I've just left it on and tracking now.

Since I don't seem to be able to find anything online about flashing LEDs on the handset, I have not been able to confirm what the problem actually is (although it does sound water damage likely).

Anyone familiar with this, heard from someone else, or just any tips about keeping it running? I'm worried it might just give up completely. It is possible to replace the board in this situation, and if so, how much do they cost?

Thanks for reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Let it dry in a warm and dry climate (inside a house) for a 2-3 days, or use a hairdryer to dry it.

Water causes it to short circuit... NOT good.

Never operate any electrical or electronic equipment while is wet... gets damaged or worse.. for you :)

Archived