SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Am I the only one getting annoyed about this weather in the UK?

euphony

I do seem to recall having far more opportunities and being out several times during my first winter about two years ago as a proud new scope owner. Since then each winter seems to have been just dreary cloudy weather, snow, rain, and more clouds. I bought a solar scope in an effort to cure the summer time blues but for all of last year I only used it about twice, on the two sunny days when I wasn't at work. Today has been the best day for at least a year for solar observing for me. I've used my normal telescope about twice this winter, there has only been about four or five nights (outside estimate) when the skies were not totally clouded out.

Depressed? Annoyed more than anything, but there's no point in being depressed or angry as it's out of our hands, so there's nobody to be angry with and therefore no resolution to be had.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to take it personally with these clouds :mad: As a chef, I finish worked around 9:30pm, there have been countless nights where the skies have been clear from 5pm but the second I step out of the kitchen its full cloudcussing.gif !! My girlfriend lives in the lake district & the nights that i'm up there its clear here in Harrogate, but when I'm down here its clear up there angry1.gifangry4.gifangry9.gif I shall have my revenge, in the form of a giant hoover which i'm developing inside my secret south pacific island.....Then they'll be sorry icon_evil.gif

Steve

Yep, sure is frustrating. My cost per use of my imaging rig is around £100 - its had such little use. Even when it is clear, and you have the audacity to set up, the clouds come rolling in just as the subs start to be collected. This happened last night and tonight. I even cancelled night out with mates last night 'cos it was clear at the time. Of course, as soon as they'd gone out the clouds came in. Its almost like there is someone watching you and having a laugh...

Massively frustrating. As several have said, not a lot to be done so just try to take it in the stride. But it is sooooo disappointing!

TBH I get so much more observing done in summer (when every one else puts their scopes to bed), yeah the nights are short but at least you've got some chance of actually observing something.

And you don't have to wear several layers of jumpers, hats and gloves either.

Archived