SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How to keep hands warm on cold nights, what do you use?

skir

Last night I mainly kept warm whilst out observing, however my hands did get cold. I have normal gloves but these are too bulky for the dexterity needed when focusing, changing eyepieces etc. so I'm thinking I need some warm but very thin gloves so I can keep them on at all times.

So what do people use that works well for observing and all the tasks we have to complete whilst out?

I'm thinking something like thin silk gloves, but I'm not sure if these would be warm enough?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got some cool fingerless gloves for Christmas that do the trick... I've got tiny hands though, so it's just the tips of my fingers that peek out, allowing me to deal with tiny screws etc.

Before that, I'd take a flask out with me and keep having little cups of tea so I could wrap my hands round that!

I have some 'Anglers' gloves from Aldi, fantastic. They are neoprene, fit well, and allow the tips of the thumb and forefinger to pull back allowing access for dextrous actions. They are super, and only about €6. Absolutely best spend on astro and almost the cheapest. I'm sure they're available on ebay or similar. Can't recommend enough. I had also bought all types of fingerless gloves, handwarmers (charcoal and lighter fluid, which are good BTW) etc but they are by far the best.

HTH

Barry

I use layers: first one or two pairs of disposable latex gloves, then one or two layers of silk or wool glove liners, then leather gloves or a pair of waterproof thinsulate ones. This leaves me with sufficient dexterity while also keeping my hands very warm.

I haven't tried them yet but I'm going to get some angling gloves from go outdoors, I'm basing this on them being good for stationary activities, I'm also getting a fishing jacket as well, not one of the silly camo ones, but a plain green one, again based on the fact it needs to be warm enough for sitting still for hours on end.

I have a pair of thick (woolen i think...........but most likely synthetic) gloves that can be either full handed mittens or fingerless gloves with a simple pop of a rivet button.

But to be honest, because i am in a wheelchair and i use my hands to wheel myself around all day every day.......................the blood flow to my hands if great. They really dont get cold. I cant feel my feet but i do wear leather shoes on those. Its my face (my nose mainly) that gets cold the quickest...............Thats fine though because i have a Leinster Rugby "snoodie" (neck and face warmer)...............

Imagine this but in the Leinster Rugby colours and logo:

http://www.premiersocktape.co.uk/neckwarmer.html

Woolen or thermal fingerless gloves does it for me. Plus frequent hot cuppa's or stuff a hand warmer inside each glove. One day I'll get some sheepskin ones - might have to get full sheepskins and snip the fingertips off though lol :)

Archived