Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Nephalem

Meteor over Russia....

Yes a bit ambiguous :)

The hole is not fake, the assertion that the hole is a result of this morning's meteor is fake :)

Sorry, what I should have said was 'at least it wasn't the meteor that did that'.

How a hole burns for that long though.... they really should try and cap it.

• Like 1

Wow Derweze is now on my travel list!

By the way, can't someone predict these meteors or are they to small to see coming?

That I wonder to, did none see this? no warnings?

placed a thread last night in the lounge "fireball" at 12.33am , could have been a fragment of same ,

Wow Derweze is now on my travel list!

By the way, can't someone predict these meteors or are they to small to see coming?

We can predict meteor showers because we can model comet orbits, but one off bits of rock are too small to be observed.

Here is an Earth Sky article about it: http://earthsky.org/?p=389

There are roumors that one more big meteor are hitting soon.. but they must be talking about 2012 DA14, and that will not hit as far as we know :-)

placed a thread last night in the lounge "fireball" at 12.33am , could have been a fragment of same ,

It had crossed my mind. Do the timings match up at all?

James

Imagine what a big one would do?!

http://en.wikipedia..../Tunguska_event

It had crossed my mind. Do the timings match up at all?

James

No, I think the Russian strike happened at around 0320GMT

Incidentally I saw a fireball at 2235 last night, so the 0033 fireball may indeed be a fragment

Edited by E621Keith

Do you think they could be "bits" of DA14?

I guess it's not impossible though I struggle to convince myself that they would be. In the time between this event and DA14's closest approach the Earth will have travelled well over a million kilometres in its orbit and the idea that a single fragment of the asteroid might hit us that far ahead stretches my credulity a little. If there were a number of meteorite hits during the course of the day or even after DA14 has passed then perhaps the idea would be a bit more convincing.

James

working out the timing is tough , the time gap to impact zone is 6 hours but the reports of the incident are all over the place, moscow time local time , time on camera stamp and bbc all differ.??

TYhanks for the links, all.

It seems the real hole is about 6 metres across according to one piece I read..

Olly

They are saying it was a 50-ton meteorite.

Good job it didn't come straight down rather than across the sky!

just waiting for all the loons to start with the end is nigh stories now

Well if there are other fragments on the way, then who knows??

2012 AD14 was still around 1000,000 km away and approaching from the southern pole direction.

So cannot be part of the meteorite that hit in Russia.

However what is more interesting is that the meteorite that landed this morning is reportedly thought to contain traces of 'Bovine DNA'!

Hmm...

• Like 2

While out last night at around 11ish I saw a real bright shooting star go past the plough, which i was viewing through my bins.

It was real fast, but I think it went from top to bottom straight down past the left hand side of the Plough, whereas the 2012 Ad14 asteroid is going to go from bottom right through the plough at the same point, up towards ursa minor,

So i doubt if that was connected to the asteroid.

Although could gravity alter the course of a smaller peice?

Did you hear the sonic boom that this sucker created. I was watching it in HD and i'm sure my windows vibrated a bit.

LOL.

Fantastic footage on Sky News.

I and 3 others saw this incredibly bright red orb ( around 6.40pm ) yesterday evening, it was not a plane helecopter or sat, it was not a chinese lantern,

moving very fast ! out to sea then it vanished ! got the binos out it was too fast to track it was over in 30 seconds,

could it have been a meteor fragment or ball lightning ?

While out last night at around 11ish I saw a real bright shooting star go past the plough, which i was viewing through my bins.

It was real fast, but I think it went from top to bottom straight down past the left hand side of the Plough, whereas the 2012 Ad14 asteroid is going to go from bottom right through the plough at the same point, up towards ursa minor,

So i doubt if that was connected to the asteroid.

Although could gravity alter the course of a smaller peice?

I saw that too ! i was looking at the plough through my 25 m eyepiece.

@yesteryeargames,

sounds like an interesting sighting! visible for too long to be a meteor i think. seems to be something genuinely anomalous ie a ufo. obviously aircraft of all kinds need to be ruled out.as well as the dreaded lanterns. i know a lot of astronomers regard sightings like these as a taboo. it's like a "don't even go there" attitude.

cheers,phil.